Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very impressed by Andy Schleck yesterday. He put himself on the line and attacked and won.
By starting this thread I am seeking opinions as to why. Last year when he (eventually) attacked it was a much less positive affair. At the time I think I used the word pathetic.

My theory, for what it's worth, is that without brother Frank nannying him, he has finally stepped up to the plate and that we are going to see a much more competitive Andy Schleck this time around.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Or he is a year older and actually learned from last year.

Len

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i dont know if it is because frank is not there to "nanny" him as much as it is he realizes that he needs to make it happen. last year i got the feeling by the time riders started attacking they had already decided that either Contador or Armstrong was gonna win, so they were going for a podium spot. This year most people believed Contador would win, but he has shown some cracks in the facade. Teams know they must jump and take advantage NOW. waiting for the third week is akin to battling for second.

albert owen said:
...Last year when he (eventually) attacked it was a much less positive affair. At the time I think I used the word pathetic.

My theory, for what it's worth, is that without brother Frank nannying him, he has finally stepped up to the plate and that we are going to see a much more competitive Andy Schleck this time around.

·
Administrator
13,022 Posts
He would got more time if Gesink didn't ride so stupidly.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Its simple

Shleck has it and Contabor does not.... Any person that rides a bike knows that when someone passes you , you have two options... Ride faster or Ride faster... If you cant then it is what it is...

·
Administrator
13,022 Posts
JohnStonebarger said:
Interesting that before the Tour there was a lot of speculation about AS's fitness. He says he's in the form of his life, and his ride yesterday would seem to support that.
I was a bit worried after the crash that stupid Footon rider caused. He was riding with that ice pack on his hip for a bit- obviously it was too bad.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
After stage 8, Andy has learned that he can kick Contadr. His confidence will now be much higher. Watch for him to do good things.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I am not saying this to slag Andy

as I am actually pulling for him
has anyone thought Contador may be riding into form to peak in that final week?
maybe he doesn't quite have it right now
maybe he will be a matador in the Pyrenees.
it's a long race
all I'm saying

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Good points!

atpjunkie said:
it's a long race
all I'm saying
Both are great riders - discounting any at this stage doesn't make sense.

Andy had a good ride...plenty of mountains ahead to sort things out!

·
Registered
127 Posts
albert owen said:
I was very impressed by Andy Schleck yesterday. He put himself on the line and attacked and won.
By starting this thread I am seeking opinions as to why. Last year when he (eventually) attacked it was a much less positive affair. At the time I think I used the word pathetic.
I remember vividly, Andy attacked Contador numerous times on one of the climbs, over and over, but Contador responded every time, then he simply road by Andy. He did attack, he just wasn't good enough last year.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ilmaestro said:
I remember vividly, Andy attacked Contador numerous times on one of the climbs, over and over, but Contador responded every time, then he simply road by Andy. He did attack, he just wasn't good enough last year.

Um no. You are thinking of the attacks on the Columbiere, but Contador stayed on Andy and Frank's wheel and never countered. Frank actually won the stage on the Columbiere and Andy finished Ventoux with Contador on his wheel. Contador's big win came on the Verbier 1-2 days earlier and only one rider had the legs to give chase... Andy Schleck.

I still think Contador will win this year, but all it would take is another 2:00 minutes to put Andy in Yellow for good. He surrender just 1:46 to Contador at Annecy last year (a TT where AC was somehow faster than Cancellara :confused: ).

I'm guessing everyone has seen the Specialized commercial with Schleck and Contador. These two will be battling it out for the next decade - I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think this tour is wide open now and first in line for a helping is Andy. Contador is sort of at a disadvantage with Lance out, since that will put him as the sole focus. Andy really freaking needs to asorb some TT skills through osmosis from Sparticus. You would think the proximity would improve Andy to some extent...?

·
Registered
459 Posts
thesmokingman said:
IAndy really freaking needs to asorb some TT skills through osmosis from Sparticus. You would think the proximity would improve Andy to some extent...?
I think Andy will surprise everyone in the TT like Sastre did w/ Evans. AS will accumulate enough time to preserve or aclaim the yellow.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
atpjunkie said:
it's a long race
all I'm saying
Probably true, especially since Contador caught the flu just b/4 the TdF.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
thesmokingman said:
I think this tour is wide open now and first in line for a helping is Andy. Contador is sort of at a disadvantage with Lance out, since that will put him as the sole focus. Andy really freaking needs to asorb some TT skills through osmosis from Sparticus. You would think the proximity would improve Andy to some extent...?
Maybe he can borrow his electric bike...

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
denversean said:
I'm guessing everyone has seen the Specialized commercial with Schleck and Contador. These two will be battling it out for the next decade - I'm looking forward to it.
Yeah, Specialized must be eating this up!!

When Frank went down, I figured this would go one of two ways for the younger Schleck- bad because his brother and teammate wouldn't be there to support him (those two attack like they share the same brain) or better, because he wouldn't be worrying if Frank did well, wouldn't have to help Frank win a stage like last year, etc...
I guess we have our answer...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts