Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I see some new bikes with angled instead of straight seatstays. Not flared, angled....what’s the advantage? D7FC405E-6360-447B-B9E7-58CEC8E3BDB1.jpg

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
In a catastrophic failure, the seat stays of the bike you posted will initiate failure at that bend. Otherwise, nothing.

·
Registered
18,604 Posts
In theory, a bend in the tube will allow more flex and more comfort.

But according to Surly, it's for brake clearance.
https://theradavist.com/2018/02/the...-is-truly-a-fat-tire-road-bike-morgan-taylor/

The chainstay is brazed into the dropout, while the seat stay is welded to the top, with a bend to allow lots of room for brake options – including post mount, if you prefer.

From a compatibility standpoint, a flat mount bike can be adapted to post mount calipers (provided the seat stays have enough room), but you can’t go the other way around. So in this sense flat mount is arguably more useful in the long run.

·
Registered
377 Posts
In theory, a bend in the tube will allow more flex and more comfort...
BLA BLA BLA...
BLA BLA...
Poof!

Enough of the Choo Choo Charlie Engineer!
Prove it !

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not seeing any accommodation for post mount calipers...I’ve seen this bent / top welded seatstay on a few new bikes. Some trend setting trying to take place..

·
Registered
377 Posts
And what about chainstays?
I call marketing.
Exactly ... is there another zerts in the house ?
Comfort is marketing.
Seat Stay Engineer Patent ?
Come on... gimme another new gimmick .
Comfort Gimme Comfort. I Demand Comfort!

·
What the what???
12,604 Posts
Could be marketing.
Could be clearance.
But I like the aesthetic and the deviation from the “normal” stays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,604 Posts
BLA BLA BLA...
BLA BLA...
Poof!

Enough of the Choo Choo Charlie Engineer!
Prove it !
Run away you silly troll. This is really basic physics 101.

Chainstay Stiffness | Kirk Frameworks
This is a favorite subject of mine.

First I’ll say something that you won’t hear from many builders…….curving or bending the stays into any configuration other than straight will make the stays flex more. There are very few absolutes in life but this is one of them. Curved stays flex more than the equivalent stay without the bend. They won’t flex a lot more……just a little. It depends on the type of bend and the degree of bend. One thing is for sure, the bent stay can never be stiffer due to it’s bend. The biggest reason to bend a stay is to allow for better clearances with tire and chainring. This is a bigger deal on mountain bikes than road but true nonetheless.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
... ah, your stress analysis diagram only has one force on it. Where are the opposing forces?
Probably should put some at the crank & rear axle.

·
Registered
18,604 Posts
... ah, your stress analysis diagram only has one force on it. Where are the opposing forces?
Probably should put some at the crank & rear axle.
No, it has opposing 'force'. What do you think keeps the seat stay from moving. :aureola:
The analysis would fail otherwise.

It is 1000% irrefutable, a tube with a bend will flex more.

·
Registered
18,604 Posts
Thanks tig. It’s all about the “compliance”....maybe something to it, thanks again.
No, that's not what I said.
Per Surly, the bend is to allow lots of room for brake options – including post mount, if you prefer.

Yes a bent tube will flex more, but that doesn't necessarily translate to 'compliance'. If you're using 40mm+ offroad or cross tires, frame compliance is pretty irrelevant.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,957 Posts
I call marketing.
^^^This.^^^ Curves are sexy and sex sells.

The only practical reason I can think of is to get you an outlandish amount of setback.

Comfort Gimme Comfort. I Demand Comfort!

One word: TIRES. Anything else will make a negligible difference.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts