Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vino, landis, ulrich, rasmussen are featured. Where is BASSO? Where is LANCE?

other one i'm fed up with already - the SAAB commercial, repeats 3x. I would believe ALL Cars have an EGR system and reburn exhaust gas. This is nothing new.

· Banned
328 Posts
I don't get the take back the tour commercials. They make no sense to me and Versus, as much as I love them, sometimes really screws up the broadcast.

As for SAAB, you do have to give them some love for sponsoring and GM as an entity (since they own saab) has been supporting cycling for a long time with the Saturn team and there even was a domestic saab team with andy bishop in the 90s.

Just be glad there is cycling on TV and it's not ESPN II for half an hour at 2am like it was in 1999.

· Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
I think that since LA never "Failed" a test, if VS showed him as a past doper, they would be setting themselves up for a lawsuit. The last time we saw Basso race the tour, it was LA's last win....I think Basso is "forgotten".

Another thing, I'm sure VS(comcast) did pretty well financialy during those LA TDF's. Why would they start trouble with someone who lined their pockets. With how big comcast has become, if LA were to sue them, they would probably just settle.....easiest to just keep LA out of it.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
velomonkey said:
They make no sense to me...
Well I think they make perfect sense to anyone who follows professional cycling, whether there is any real value in airing them or not I have my doubts. However, I was sitting there thinking if you have no real idea about the doping and are someone who just tunes in to watch the Tour that it wouldn't make much sense at all. It could even be misconstrued as "take back the Tour" means returning to an American winner :)

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
Well I think they make perfect sense to anyone who follows professional cycling, whether there is any real value in airing them or not I have my doubts. However, I was sitting there thinking if you have no real idea about the doping and are someone who just tunes in to watch the Tour that it wouldn't make much sense at all. It could even be misconstrued as "take back the Tour" means returning to an American winner :)

I was thinking that till I saw Landis.. haha

· Dopers ruin sport
508 Posts
At first I thought they used pro riders that was accused of doping like Rass, Jan, Landis, and Vino. All of those riders where accused of dopping. So maybe what they mean by take back the Tour is take it back from doping????????

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
roadie92 said:
At first I thought they used pro riders that was accused of doping like Rass, Jan, Landis, and Vino. All of those riders where accused of dopping. So maybe what they mean by take back the Tour is take it back from doping????????
who is in the green stepping down from the podium with the child in his arms?

· Mountain biker
315 Posts
bas said:
who is in the green stepping down from the podium with the child in his arms?
Zabel. It is pretty rude considering he's in the race this year as sprint captain for Milram.

The Astana jersey TTing is Vino, of course.

Just saw the Saab recycling exhaust commericial and yes, it is annoying. All turbo chargers function by using exhaust gas pressure to turn a turbine which pressurizes the air intake to force more air into the combustion chamber. Nothing new....

· Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
I logged on to start this exact thread, all they way down to the "where's lance in that commercial" comment.

No way the former Only Lance Network would do anything to tarnish their golden boy.

Shouldn't they throw Heras in there too?

It's a pretty annoying commercial.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ewarnerusa said:
Zabel. It is pretty rude considering he's in the race this year as sprint captain for Milram.

The Astana jersey TTing is Vino, of course. The commercial shows riders who have admitted and/or failed dope tests in their careers. Except Ullrich, he's a case where all the evidence points towards doper, but he has never admitted to it or failed a PED test. Just failed for Ecstasy.

Zabel did admit to using PED in what, 97? but said it made him sick and didn't work so he stopped.

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
roadie92 said:
Nope, what they mean is to turn negative emotions towards doping into pure gold or at least maintaining their share in the television market.

· Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
bas said:
vino, landis, ulrich, rasmussen are featured. Where is BASSO? Where is LANCE?

other one i'm fed up with already - the SAAB commercial, repeats 3x. I would believe ALL Cars have an EGR system and reburn exhaust gas. This is nothing new.
Wrong, wrong and wrong. An EGR system burns off crankcase ventilation residue. Also the SAAB commercial is referring to the use of exhaust energy to run the turbocharger. And finally Armstrong never tested positive. He may have doped(probably) but he was never caught and we have this thing in America called innocent until proven guilty.

· Polka Power
1,348 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
Wrong, wrong and wrong. An EGR system burns off crankcase ventilation residue. Also the SAAB commercial is referring to the use of exhaust energy to run the turbocharger. And finally Armstrong never tested positive. He may have doped(probably) but he was never caught and we have this thing in America called innocent until proven guilty.
Wrong....on the EGR at least. EGR stands for Exhast Gas Recirculation. It does recirculate exhaust gases back into the intake to lower emissions. PCV is what burns off crankcase gases (blow by). Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Puts gasses that leak by the piston rings into the intake to be burnt, thus not allowing them to get to the atmosphere = lower emissions.

/back to the original topic.

· la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
bas said:
I also think it is offensive to current and former sponsors.

Is that Salvoldelli on the TT bike?? I can't tell.

Astana, Bianchi, Phonak, RaboBank are 'shamed' in the commercial.

Why isn't jan/Tmob used?
Jan is featured fairly prominently in Bianchi kit.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.