Andrew Talansky
Tyler Farrar
David Millar
Dan Martin
Tom Danielson
Christan Vandevelde
Rohan Dennis
Ramunas Navardauskas​

Danielson and Vandevelde are both riding in Colorado right now, they could just be getting ready for August there. Farrar in for seniority reasons, only. Leaving Zabriskie off although he could be back by then. Dan Martin is a risk because of summer allergy problems.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Martin had some kind of nasal surgery a while back and supposedly he's been good so far.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Navardauskas was great in the Giro, but I wonder if he won't be past his peak in July. Van Summeren seems like a likely choice to me.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I'm sure Talansky rode his way onto the TDF team with that attack on the last stage of the dauphine. Especially now that Teejay has a crash to recover from.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
My bad--it was Ryder who crashed, not Teejay van garderen.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ryder, Martin, Talansky for sure.

I wonder who from the Giro squad will make it though?

Millar - most likely
VDV - probably, even though he hasn't done much this year to earn a spot
Danielson - He's actually been one of the most consistent this year, but something tells me no.
Stetina - no
Hunter - maybe, but not for sprint/leadout, just to carry bottles and ride on the front.
Honey Badger - He should becasue he's that bad-ass, but his form may be off.
Haas/Dekker - no

So there could be 3-4 slots open between who I think are in the the running:
DZ - No update on his Cali injury, and he's kind of been irrelevant this year.
Farrar - I see no reason why or why not, but he has to be on his own.
Summi - probably
Dennis - certainly hasn't hurt his chances recently
Von Hoff - deserving, but maybe the vuelta
Kreders - one or both should be in the mix
Rasmussen - probably

It's probably time for a changing of the guard. Will they go with a young unproven (for GT's) squad, or stick with mostly old guys with a couple young guys mixed in?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Looks like a strong team. I hope they go for stages in the first week since you never know what happens. Take stock after week one and if Ryder or Dan are still within touching distance of the podium maybe reign in Ramunas and the rest to protect them until the big mountains. I'd just hate to see them be packfill the first several days and then lose the GC chances anyways due to crashes, illness or whatever. Not all the stages in the first week look like field sprints on paper.

Edit: Also, looks like a good team for the TTT - maybe not to win it but to at least minimize the gap to Sky and Movistar

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Rohan is the lead sprinter this year, he's who was selected over Farrar. They have clearly decided to give some of their young guns the nod over those that have had repeated chances. Martin and Talansky could make things exciting if Ryder doesn't seem to have his mojo going. VdV could also surprise like he did last year at the Amgen ToC.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
... Take stock after week one and if Ryder or Dan are still within touching distance of the podium maybe reign in Ramunas and the rest to protect them until the big mountains. ... Not all the stages in the first week look like field sprints on paper....
There are a couple of stages in which prevailing winds could cause the peloton to break into echelons. If these guys are racing "one for all" that could work to their favor. If they're just hanging around waiting to get to the Alps it could spell trouble.

·
Registered
750 Posts
There are a couple of stages in which prevailing winds could cause the peloton to break into echelons. If these guys are racing "one for all" that could work to their favor. If they're just hanging around waiting to get to the Alps it could spell trouble.
Very true. I have no idea what the winds are going to be like on Corsica but it looks more like hilly hot terrain than windblown cold rainy northern France. A few stages in the first week look like opportunities for a strong rider like Ramunas. If Garmin wanted to try and grab the yellow jersey after the TTT then they'll need someone like him to finish in a break in one of the Corsica stages.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.