1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Very cool! I got tired just reading it. The third to last photo is awesome.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
one of my daughter's cycling team mates has a dad who is an ultra runner. He ran a 100 mile race on Saturday. Trained during the week, on Fri Eve he paced a buddy doing a crazy ultra (120 miles 13K of elevation) through the night (about 9 hrs), picked his daughter up, took her to a race. After the race went home Saturday afternoon, ate, slept and ran a marathon on Sunday.

Impressive, but nutty

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Ultras are bananas. I run more than bike now but have zero interest for the training for that. So much respect for that ... But man.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Very cool nooky. I'm signed up for my first ultra in Jan. Still love riding, but the running is just such fun.
Did you use trekking poles at all? Some races allow them, some not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
one of my daughter's cycling team mates has a dad who is an ultra runner. He ran a 100 mile race on Saturday. Trained during the week, on Fri Eve he paced a buddy doing a crazy ultra (120 miles 13K of elevation) through the night (about 9 hrs), picked his daughter up, took her to a race. After the race went home Saturday afternoon, ate, slept and ran a marathon on Sunday.

Impressive, but nutty
Wow, 120 miles in 9 hours is 4.5 minute miles. I have a friend that was an Olympic caliber marathoner (2:13) that ran a 100k at a 6.5 minute mile pace...that was impressive enough for me.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Big deal. :rolleyes: How many clowns you benchin' these days? :p

I find it funny that you hesitate to post about running. YES this is post-worthy!!

My favorite local restaurant is Oneness-Fountain-Heart, run by followers of the Sri Chinmoy philosophy. They're vegetarian and do long, multi-day runs for spiritual reasons.

We talked with a waiter a few months ago about it, he was very modest about his run across Mongolia :shocked: and has written a book about how to overcome the mental aspects of it.

The operative word being "mental" of course :eek:ut: :lol:

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, 120 miles in 9 hours is 4.5 minute miles. I have a friend that was an Olympic caliber marathoner (2:13) that ran a 100k at a 6.5 minute mile pace...that was impressive enough for me.

I assumed his pacing duties were just for part of his buddies race as you generally are not allowed to pace a runner the entire event.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very cool nooky. I'm signed up for my first ultra in Jan. Still love riding, but the running is just such fun.
Did you use trekking poles at all? Some races allow them, some not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never used poles, some people love them. It's hard to find a European racer without them.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Very impressive, and congrats! I am so in awe of those who can accomplish such feats of endurance.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
he didn't run all of it. He was a night pacer for a guy doing the full, which typically takes over 20hrs. He just did around 40-50 miles or so of very hilly, very rocky terrain helping a racer not stumble, kep spirits up. Correction, course was only 100.5 miles and it is a trail run (crazy shoes they wear)

http://www.sandiego100.com/img/maps/fullBig2.pdf

Welcome to the premier 100 mile running event in San Diego | San Diego 100

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Ultras are bananas. I run more than bike now but have zero interest for the training for that. So much respect for that ... But man.
It can take years to get into that shape injury free. My wife's been running ultras for the past 6 or 8 years. Did a 44 mile run with her training partners a few weeks ago...2 weeks later ran a 50K race. She was fine afterwards. Not even sore - or so she says. Somehow she keeps avoiding any injury...

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It can take years to get into that shape injury free. My wife's been running ultras for the past 6 or 8 years. Did a 44 mile run with her training partners a few weeks ago...2 weeks later ran a 50K race. She was fine afterwards. Not even sore - or so she says. Somehow she keeps avoiding any injury...

That's awesome for her, it's hard to run injury free as runners tend to keep pushing until they get an injury lol. My wife just ran a 100k overnight last weekend, and except for losing a portion of the end of one toe, she was already running a few days later. I rode 20 miles on the cyclocross bike last night. I love running, but riding along gravel at 18 mph feeling good is awesome too.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
A friend of mine, a non-runner, was considering the possibility of running the NYC Marathon next year, in honor of her husband's would-be 50th birthday (he ran it a couple of times, though he wasn't a serious athlete.)

Told her it would be possible, but would be a big time/training commitment. She could walk most of it, though. Told her to get his former running buddy to think about doing it instead :p

Was re-reading The Curse of Lono this morning, the part where they travel to cover the Honolulu Marathon, and it got me thinking about this thread and you long-distance nutjobs. Thompson talks about how the degenerates like himself sit on the sidelines and yell abuse at the runners, while drinking beer and hanging out with wild women.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I assumed his pacing duties were just for part of his buddies race as you generally are not allowed to pace a runner the entire event.
okay so I wasn't that vague. Somebody understood. Yes, it's a trail run, uses Noble Canyon (one of IMBA's Epic MTB Rides) lots of rocks and nasties. Most racers are a bit punchy by then, so most use pacers / guides. So he runs from around 9PM to 5AM, drives home picks his kid up and takers her to a bike race. (she won, she's US Road, Crit and TT champ 9-10) As the kids are racing he says he's running the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon (which goes close to my house) and could I meet him and his buddy with Beer. So I make a careful beer choice (what is good @ mile 20) buy the beer and the following morning ride to meet him @ our designated spot. So this is mile 20 and folks are looking pretty beat. A woman is getting first aid right next to us. He and his buddy show up smiling, laughing as I crack their cans "Mike Hess Kolsch Tallboys". We drink them, say good bye and they finish sub 3-40. The beer comes in a 4 pack and the 2 women with the one getting aid say, "Man what a great idea" So I gave them the 4th of the 4 Pack and they split it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts