Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be the 1000th replay of this subject or some variation thereof – however I need to decide on a course of action and stick with it.

When I bought my bike, the LBS owner insisted that hot waxing the chain was the way to go. I bought all the supplies, but before I was ready to fire up the hotplate the first time, someone else converted me to White Lighting.

Used WL for many months, using an on bike chain scrubber for periodic cleanings. Seemed to work OK. Chain remained fairly clean, shifting not bad.

THEN, talking to still another well respected bike mechanic in my area, it was suggested I not put that “white gunk” on my chain but instead use Pedro’s Extra Dry. So I put some Pedros on and although the chain tends to get a bit blacker, I do believe the drive train is quieter and shifting a wee bit smoother.

I put the bike on the stand after each ride, back pedal with a rag on the chain to clean off the gunk, then reapply Pedros. Still use the on bike scrubber.

Question: Assuming one uses the proper consistency oil for riding conditions, aren’t all the “:name” products OK? Does any one brand really stand out in practical terms? I’m really asking because I now have an eye on Purple Extreme.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gunk Lightnin'

I had the same trouble with White Lightening when it first came out. It didn't attract dirt or get greasy, but the wax itself gunked up and the drive train didn't run smoothly, so I too went back to the traditional stuff.

Right now I use Tri Flow, which I have used on and off for years. It is cheaper than most brands and works fine. The Pedro's you are using is good. I've used that, as well as Finish. I think they all work about the same as long as you keep the chain clean, which it certainly sounds like you are doing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've been using Pedro's road rage and an on chain scrubber with very nice results. I do clean and oil the chain every hundred miles or less though, so that may be the more important thing, but the road rage is working great for me. No gunking, just easy shifting and a smooth spin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.