Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Off the back.
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I know this topic is played out, but my searches didn't prove to be fruitful for my situation.

I've got a FSA SL-K Crankset (53/39) with the MegaExo external BB setup. I've got an Ultegra front der.

I'm looking at 3 compact cranksets to suppliment my standard crankset for long mountain days. The 3 choices currently are:

1. FSA SL-K Compact Crankset
2. FSA Gossamer Compact
3. Shimano R700 Compact

My dilemma is this:
If I go with a FSA crankset, then I've got a brand new spare set of bottom brackets that should be interchangeable. However, I've read some reports that the FSA compacts don't work well with non-FSA front der., so would I have to buy a new front der. as well?

The Shimano is supposed to work with standard der., so maybe its the best option? If I went FSA the choice between 1 & 2 would just be if I had to have carbon crank arms for vanity and the 100g weight difference.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I put a used FSA sl-k compact on my 5200 and could not shift back and forth between the big and little rings in all of the appropriate gears with the standard Ultegra front der. I sold the FSA and went to a Shimano F700 and it shifts like butter in all gears.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a bike with the an older FSA compact with a Shimano front derailleur without having any issues.

I have on my current ride an FSA Gossamer Mega Exo with the FSA front derailleur. I notice little difference in peformance between the two. I like the way the FSA looks, though. That has nothing to do with performance.

Bottom line is there is no functional difference. Like all front setups having them properly aligned is necessary for crisp shifting.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The part you mentioned about FSA compacts not working with non-FSA derailleurs isn't quite accurate. The problem that is typically experienced involved some of the Shimano Dura-Ace 10-speed chains (CN-7801). Shimano changed their chain design in the middle of the season (CN-7800 to CN-7801), and the profile of the big ring didn't work too well with it. What basically happened was that, in order to derail the chain to the lower ring, the limits had to be set too far in, and it would wind up missing the ring and landing on the bottom bracket. FSA produced a replacement ring to work correctly with the newer Shimano 10-speed chains and all has been fixed. I've been running the ISIS compact from FSA for 6 months and haven't dropped a chain or missed a shift yet. I'm really happy with the performance of this crankset and wouldn't hesitate to use it on another bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.