Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Dart said:
That's a really nice looking bike. It's giving me the fever...

I've been looking at the Cross Check online and can't find info on complete bike weight. What does your build weigh?
My wife is 5' 1"
The frame is 42CM Cent to Top
It has a fairly strong sloping top tube...

Complete build is 20lbs..

Keep in mind, I did not build this as a minimal weight bike.
It is somewhat of a franken bike as it is a mix of old and new parts.
The rear derailuer is an old Dura Ace 8spd that I had kicking around. The shifting is a little finicky with the 10Spd Ultegra shifters, but it works and will hit every gear. It is running standard compact gearing.

We just got back from her maiden ride just now, and the reviews from my wife were quite positive. It is a comfortable, smooth relaxed ride. It is also no-nonsense durable.

I have a few tweaks to preform, move the brifters up a little on the bar etc...

The other thing she loves is that Salsa Poco bar... Great for women with smaller hands.

With the mix of old and new, I was able to build this out for $900. Not bad given the quality of the result.

·
Bike Dude
993 Posts
Shheeeesh that's a small headtube. I figured your lady was small, mine's also 4' 13". Very nice build. Those wheels look to be 700's, just guessing. What size was this listed as thru Surly? I have a lot of trouble when I'm looking at frames for my girl. The majority of frame builders stop using 700 wheels below 48 cm. She currently rides a 44 and a 45 cm (top tube length) Nishiki and Centurian (Dave Scott Ironman Series), both bikes use a 700 wheel. Great build and I love the color.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Small, yes

Thommy said:
Shheeeesh that's a small headtube. I figured your lady was small, mine's also 4' 13". Very nice build. Those wheels look to be 700's, just guessing. What size was this listed as thru Surly? I have a lot of trouble when I'm looking at frames for my girl. The majority of frame builders stop using 700 wheels below 48 cm. She currently rides a 44 and a 45 cm (top tube length) Nishiki and Centurian (Dave Scott Ironman Series), both bikes use a 700 wheel. Great build and I love the color.
Surly lists it as 42..

Yep. 700's

Fit for her is great. The POCO bars are also a welcome addition for her.
A great all around ride. A little heavy compared to her carbon road ride, but nothing to worry about.
I did 170's on the cranks..
And other than a slightly higher rise on the bars, it is a setup that is in spec to her other rides.

Taking it up to Bar Harbor (Acadia Nat Park) next weekend for some carriage road runs.

She was chill on the color at first, but loves it now.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Bike Dude
993 Posts
Cool, thanks for getting back to me. 700 wheels work for me. My girl uses barend shifters with the "cross" levers on the handlebars too. Her bars are 38 cm Salsas. I like the adjustability at the dropouts on the Cross Check. I'm really glad to hear that Surly has a bike that I can build for my girl. Thanks again for the info and I'm glad your lady likes her new bike. Love the color and the buildup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.