Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Token Sprinter
644 Posts
Glad to see the cyclists coming out in full force in the comments section. I must say though that I despise the fact that by posting this nonsense she is generating a ton of page visits.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
So that wasn't somebody from the Radioshak/Trek team I dropped today?

I thought he was a little heavy.
It had to have been Radio Shack if he had the jersey right she can't be wrong if she's a reporter, right? Makes you feel good doesn't it. I guess I dropped a few pros myself but you would expect it since I had my Colnago skin suit on...

G

·
I love the ridiculous non-sequitor:

I had to pass some cyclists / someone on a bike leaned on my car / someone rolled a stopsign / someone on a bike signaled to change lanes and/or make a turn / They took our jobs!

if there were license plates for bikes none of these things would ever happen again!

???

Profit!

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Wow...just Wow!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
What's scary is that FB only shows the 2000+ likes and gives no opportunity for dissenting so people think they are the majority... Scary that people can agree with such misinformed garbage and are just as ignorant as her.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
We should learn from her comments.

Not that she has any actual cycling knowledge. I would guess without a little studying time she doesn't even have enough traffic knowledge to pass a driving test. The writer isn't a scholar... she's a typical motorist. She is sharing her “feelings” about traffic as it affects her... and us... as cyclists. And again she is typical.

What I hated was her comments:
Does not look like Atlanta will ever create enough bike paths to get cyclists off the main roads..................I want everyone who wants to put their bikes on the main road to get a license and a tag.

I am afraid that is also a typical... this.... more government will make everything better response. A response that has become so very common lately.

The typical motorists want us [cyclists] off the roads and restricted to bike paths and lanes. And they want us taxed, tagged, licensed, and fully insured. The democratic politicians I know are already planning for the revenue stream they will collect from us. Melissa Carter has warned us... I expect to hear more as time passes.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
If course the fact that the majority cyclists also drive and own cars and thus already pay has not crossed her mind.

(As a Norwegian I don't get that republican me me me me attitude, btw.)

G

·
If course the fact that the majority cyclists also drive and own cars and thus already pay has not crossed her mind.

(As a Norwegian I don't get that republican me me me me attitude, btw.)
diving and owning a car, paying registration, insurance, and license fees, and fuel taxes has nothing to do paying for the roads.

Auto registration fees pretty much just cover the operating expenses of the DMV.

Mandatory liability Insurance is a form of risk pooling, used to compensate others who are injured or suffer property damage at the fault of the driver.

On this note the actuarial risk of cyclist causing significant damage to others is absolutely negligible compared to a motor vehicle user -- almost certainly not worth the administrative overhead to enforce the program. In extremely rare incidents like a reckless cyclist hitting and killing a pedestrian the cyclist himself is likely to be injured in the crash and unable to flee the scene, and they are prosecuted/personally sued.

Fuel taxes cover a portion of interstate highway maintenance. Bicycles and motorized scooters already aren't allowed on interstate highways (except on shoulders in the middle of nowhere)

Roads are paid for from general fund at the state, county, and city level. Roads are paid for by anyone who pays income, sales, and property taxes. Everyone pays these regardless of what type of transportation they use be it a car, bike, bus, train, whatever.

The entire diatribe about licenses for bikes is nonsense but it gets repeated because sounds catchier / is more likely to attract support than saying: "we want to ban bicycles on the roads, period" which is what this author actually means.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Rants like hers make me wonder about giving them exactly what they want.

Okay, I now pay for a license plate for my bikes, a registration as a cyclist and for my bike, and insurance (provided it is available). Now I proceed to ride in the MIDDLE of the road at ALL times, because I now have EVERY right to the road. I wonder what she would think about that? I'm sure her delay on the road will be prolonged...you know why? She will never make it up to me to realize I'm causing the slowing. Why won't she make it? No cars will be allowed to pass me since it is a no passing zone and I have the right to the entire lane. Therefore, I will NOT pull over and let cars get by. I'm my taxes are as good as theirs right. I wonder what she would say then?

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
I don't buy this....
Hmm I will not dismiss this entirely. In a crowded and congested metro, for example NYC, I have seen an occasional cyclist (probably a bike messenger) crawling up behind a taxi and prop his arm against the taxi momentarily while waiting for the light. For the most part, the cab driver doesn't even give a shiat because the cyclist is doing nobody any harm.

So while I concede it may happen, but this dam woman is making an effin stink about it. Shiiat, every day I go to work I have to put up with some nasty smell of womens perfume that cause my nose to sneeze, as in allergy. I suppose I could go to HR and complain, but I don't.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.