Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
"A dean of a university..." Hit and run. I thought such position requires certain level of intelligence... :shocked:

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts
There's a thread about it on Reddit, where Fine Human Beings cheer on the freedom loving motorist and decry the "*******s in lycra" with no respect for the law.

Like I said. Fine Human Beings.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Never anger the denizens of the internet. When the guy who originally filmed this uploaded it to his FB page, all the worldwide web detectives were on it like white on rice. Within an hour they had the driver's personal details, and they were doxxing the hell out of him.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Jesus, he could have easily killed that kid. Do not venture into the comments section unless you want to ruin your day. I really struggle to understand the people with which we share this world. Very sad and disturbing.

·
Cycling Addict
5,174 Posts
"A dean of a university..." Hit and run. I thought such position requires certain level of intelligence... :shocked:
To be fair, he is the Dean of Students at University School of Nashville, a K-12 private school associated with Vanderbilt University.

Is this the kind of discipline he demands of his students?

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I am running cameras front and rear now after I've had three incidents with road rage drivers in the past 6 months, one even hit me with his car TWICE!
Another guy tried to hit me because I was stopped at a red light for all of 20 seconds and he couldn't make a right on red, so he came after me. I only had a front camera going which got his plates but didn't show the intent and the cops wouldn't do anything about it :mad:

There needs to be some sort of mass media initiative to inform drivers that bicycles have cameras now and they won't get away with crap like this.

Speaking of doxing, are the online license plate ID sites legit or scams? And what are the legalities of it?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Guy who did the hit and run is a douche and should be prosecuted to the full extent.

However, two cyclists riding abreast on a single lane, double yellow striped road aren't helping their cause, especially when there is a horn braying behind you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't understand why the friend automatically thinks the driver's action were intentional. I mean, he could have been texting...or talking on a phone...or taking a sip of his beer.

One of the scariest things to me is the comments against the cyclist where the writers appear to forget that the person hit is a human being. I guess when you call the cyclist a "creep" or a "jerk" or an "a-hole," you don't need to worry that you're actually harming (or killing) another living person.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The guy should be prosecuted for sure, but I just don't understand how you feel it is fine to slow vehicles down from 60 mph to 15 mph, because you and your buddy want to ride side by side on a busy road, I'm an avid cyclist and when I see this while in my car, I just can't understand it with all the distracted drivers these days you're putting your life in their hands.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
The guy should be prosecuted for sure, but I just don't understand how you feel it is fine to slow vehicles down from 60 mph to 15 mph, because you and your buddy want to ride side by side on a busy road, I'm an avid cyclist and when I see this while in my car, I just can't understand it with all the distracted drivers these days you're putting your life in their hands.
what I heard was that section of road had signage stating cyclists could take the whole lane. I don't have confirmation of that though.

In any case, it was the Natchez Trace Parkway, which is not exactly a high speed point-a-to-point-b thoroughfare.

·
Registered
457 Posts
what I heard was that section of road had signage stating cyclists could take the whole lane. I don't have confirmation of that though.

In any case, it was the Natchez Trace Parkway, which is not exactly a high speed point-a-to-point-b thoroughfare.
Anyone have any knowledge of the law regarding this particular piece of roadway? The article says Tennessee law allows it, but Federal law doesn't...I guess there are signs that advise that cyclists may take the entire lane.

Is TN law applied? Is Federal law correct and the signs wrong? Just wondering.

However, we have areas here where cyclists may take the lane or ride two abreast, but I generally ride as far right as possible and single file...even when permitted otherwise. The exception is around blind corners...I'll take the whole lane and drivers will just have to wait...I do it b/c I expect that when a driver attempts to pass me and is about to hit head on with a car, they'll swerve right and take me out rather than hit another car.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

I think you are right. It's a scenic parkway with a lot of bicycle traffic, slower scenic driving, etc. It's not a high speed point to point, as you say.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Anyone have any knowledge of the law regarding this particular piece of roadway? The article says Tennessee law allows it, but Federal law doesn't...I guess there are signs that advise that cyclists may take the entire lane.

Is TN law applied? Is Federal law correct and the signs wrong? Just wondering.

However, we have areas here where cyclists may take the lane or ride two abreast, but I generally ride as far right as possible and single file...even when permitted otherwise. The exception is around blind corners...I'll take the whole lane and drivers will just have to wait...I do it b/c I expect that when a driver attempts to pass me and is about to hit head on with a car, they'll swerve right and take me out rather than hit another car.
https://www.nps.gov/natr/learn/management/code-of-federal-regulations-bicycles.htm

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Horrible on top of horrible. Glad they caught him as well. The dude is clearly a sicko. Cyclists really need to stop operating from the assumption that everyone is sane and going to play by the rulebook. A number of people out there are loco, unable to manage their emotions, and/or driving while distracted and/or intoxicated. We need to do everything we can to protect ourselves out there as a result. I understand the arguments for asserting your rights, but I also just want to make it home safely and those two things have to be balanced out. Making it home is clearly a bigger priority and not every right asserted truly makes us safer. Sorry, it just doesn't (there's a time and place for everything).

1 - 20 of 135 Posts