Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rear wheel that has just broken its second spoke in a year and I'm trying to figure out what I should do about it. I'm a big sprinter-type, and its nothing new to be breaking equipment, however, i have had other wheelsets that have lasted much longer without any spokes breaking.

The specs on the wheel are: speedcific hubs (yes, oddsandendos), dt 1.1 rims and wheelsmith bladed 14/15g spokes. A spoke on the non-drive side has broken in both cases. A spare spoke for both sides came with the wheel, but since I already used the non-drive side spoke, i need to find another one.

My options are: 1. give up, buy a new wheel 2. find a new spoke and have a questionable, but also the only lbs, put it in and retension the wheel, which i did the first time 3. put my faith in said questionable lbs to rebuild the whole wheel.

What do you guys think? And where can i figure out exactly what spoke length to buy?

Thanks!

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
bikersteve said:
I have a rear wheel that has just broken its second spoke in a year and I'm trying to figure out what I should do about it. I'm a big sprinter-type, and its nothing new to be breaking equipment, however, i have had other wheelsets that have lasted much longer without any spokes breaking.

The specs on the wheel are: speedcific hubs (yes, oddsandendos), dt 1.1 rims and wheelsmith bladed 14/15g spokes. A spoke on the non-drive side has broken in both cases. A spare spoke for both sides came with the wheel, but since I already used the non-drive side spoke, i need to find another one.

My options are: 1. give up, buy a new wheel 2. find a new spoke and have a questionable, but also the only lbs, put it in and retension the wheel, which i did the first time 3. put my faith in said questionable lbs to rebuild the whole wheel.

What do you guys think? And where can i figure out exactly what spoke length to buy?

Thanks!

If the wheels were custom built for you by Mike Garcia based on your input and riding style, send them back. You shouldn't be breaking spokes, especially on the non drive side.

FWIW, based on info from other big/strong riders, oddsandendos builds a good wheel but not for big guys. I don't have personal experience on this. My big guy wheels come from Joe Young in Texas.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
After the second broken spoke, it's probably time for a complete rebuild, with new spokes. Some people rebuild after the first broken spoke, some after the second, but I'm cheap, I wait for the third.

·
24,573 Posts
On a front wheel?????
I've only had one broken front spoke in the last 25 years. Front wheels usually just go along for the ride. Was it one of those super low spoke count wheels?

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
On a front wheel?????
I've only had one broken front spoke in the last 25 years. Front wheels usually just go along for the ride. Was it one of those super low spoke count wheels?
Nope, they're actually Zero A028 wheels. They ride like tanks, so I'm not sure what's up with front spokes breaking. Poor quality maybe? Both have been at the flange. I'm not too concerned since I'm getting some slightly better wheels in the box with my TT bike that's on a UPS truck someplace between here & Georgia...

·
24,573 Posts
I bought some defective DT spokes once, that started snapping after a few hundred miles, at the threads. It was only a few packs of 36, so I threw them all out and bought some more DT's from a different supplier. Never a problem again.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Too loose

bikersteve said:
I have a rear wheel that has just broken its second spoke in a year and I'm trying to figure out what I should do about it.
Breaking NDS spokes either means a poor quality hub, defective spokes, or not enough wheel tension (spokes going slack and the heads getting worked over). Since you had these custom built, the builder should be taking care of it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.