Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before getting flamed for being a first post, I have been reading on this forum for awhile. I have searched every possible topic I could find and now feel the need for my own post. I am poor so I have to be very wise with my decision cause I am going for broke! Thanks.

Here it goes:

I am looking to spend around $1200. It has come down to 2 bikes.

Specialized Allez Elite- I like the price but would love to find a way to get it cheaper than 1200. Also, the geometry is nice and comfortable for me but it's my first road bike (coming form MTB) so I don't know what comfort is cause if I'm not over stretched than I am comfortable.

Cannondale Synapse 5- Price is a little bit more, but REI is having 15% off and so it knocks it down close to the Allez (+$100). This bike also feels good, but once again I am not sure what feel good is. It has the SAVE technology in the rear stays, but is this any better than the specialized allez frames?

I want to try a few more bikes before I make the purchase, including the Giant Defy1. Both the Synapse and Allez come with crappy FSA crank sets. The wheels are pretty much crappy too. I say crappy from the reviews I read, not from what I actually know.

Is buying from REI (sale ends Monday 5/31) a good idea?
Which brand has higher quality, Cannondale or Specialized?
What should I look for in comfort (I plan to do Century Rides)?
How are some people getting such good deals on these same bikes I'm interested in (someone on here got an allez elite for under 1K)?
Any other bikes I should check out before deciding on these two? ( I want at least 105 group)

BTW, I am located in the Sacramento area so I have gone to the big shops in the downtown area. I'm interested in Folsom bike shops, any recommendations?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought a Scattante road bike (the house brand from Performance Bicycles) at the end of summer sale last year - all carbon for $1,200. The bike (CFR Sport Road) is on sale now for $1,250, with an extra 10% off through tomorrow. You should go try it, as it is alot of bike for the $$. I don't know anything about the bikes you're looking at, but expect they have aluminum frames at that price. I've been happy with mine, & had no problems. Now that I'm really using it & following a training program, I have my eye on something much pricier. But that's a ways off. Let us know how it works out, Terry

Here is a link to their website:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/TopCategories_10052_10551_-1

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Consider the Felt Z85 and GT Series 2 (I think); they have 105 components in your price range.

Now the most important thing you read on this forum is it's all about fit. REI has some great prices on Cannondales, but do you have time to test ride before Monday or did you just want to pick it up without testing it.

Specialized is very good quality, but Cannondale is not too bad; but again, the fit has to be considered. You mentioned the Geometry on the Speacilized is nice and comfortable for you and that's what is most important.

For Century Rides, you can gain comfort through your saddle and perhaps your wheels; but most important is training...back to fit, important as well because if you have the wrong Knee Over Pedal Position it can slow your perfromance and/or cause unnecessary pain in your legs. The longr=er ride exagerates the pain.

Good deals are had by shopping around, or waiting until the end of year closeouts.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PJ352 said:
What model year Allez Elite are you looking at? The reason I ask is because you mentioned FSA cranksets and the '10 Eite is OEM'd with Shimano.
I was looking at the '10 Model. I thought I saw both bikes with the FSA Gosamer. Perhaps I was mistaken. Is the OEM Shimano any better?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TBsurf & Tommywalker,

I am going to head to a couple of bike shops this weekend to try out a few of those bikes you guys mentioned. I liked the FELT Z series but the LBS sucked so I need to find a better FELT dealer. What I like about the FELT was the carbon seat post. Tommy, I rode a Scattante the other day. I felt a little stretched out (a bit more race style) on it but it was there cheaper model with the 105 group. I am a little wary of carbon because:

1) I have never had carbon before, so I wouldn't even know what I am missing out on.
2) I beat my mountain bike up pretty bad, I have a feeling I'll be one of the few people to find a way to destroy my carbon.
3) I am a little wary of the carbon structure integrity once you get a little scratch/gash in the frame.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Both C'dale and Specialized (among some others) are top quality brands, so don't let that issue alone sway you. They both offer lifetime warranties to the original owner.

I think your idea to test ride more bikes is a good one, because it'll help you decide on preferences in rider position, handling and feel/ placement of controls. Also, unless you're capable of doing your own wrenching, shop for LBS services along with shopping for bikes. This being your first road bike, ideally try to find a shop with an experienced fitter because that, more than any other single factor will keep you on the bike and riding - relatively pain free.

To answer your question re: cranksets, I'd opt for the Shimano, but again, this alone isn't something to base a decision on. More, all else being equal, it may sway you one way or the other. But IMO focusing on fit over components will net you the best results.

Off the top of my head, and considering your intended uses, Felt Z (relaxed) series are worth a look as are the Jamis Venturas and Satellites (steel), among others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great thing about REI is that you can return...No matter what...No questions asked. My first bike was a Novarra. I did not know it was a touring bike at that. I hated it, it was heavy and slow. Did not climb well or corner well. I found a bike I liked and went to return the REI bike. I received a full refund. I even had their bike for a couple of years. I ended up getting a Specialized Allez Elite, and loved it. I am now going to get a new bike, as I was hit by a car on the Allez.

Also, just because carbon is "the latest and greatest" doesn't mean it is something you need. Read up on the differences. With the Allez Comp, you get an Aluminum bike with carbon seat post, chain-stays and forks. I think it also has the zertz inserts (not sure if they really do anything). Before the accident, I rode mine for 4-5 years, and would still be riding it. Now that it is gone, I am going to upgrade to a full carbon bike, but I am a different rider now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.