Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This took forever to get done. The frame shows from Hong Kong in 5 days but it took another 6 weeks for a little box containing the headset to arrive. The wheelset and group are used from a friend of mine. Group is mostly Ultegra but the both derailluers are DA. I decided to take everything to our local Performance shop and let them build it. Mostly cause I like the guys and I had bought the odd parts I needed there. They did a great job. I don't feel it shift and the brakes are scary sensitive.

But I have a question.... Today was the first ride and could hear a creaky noise vibration thing only on very rough roads. Smooth road or low speed on rough had no issues. It was a 20 mile ride and about half way through the noise dissipated to where it was hard to hear but it's still there. I tried messing with the bottle holders and tightened the skewers. Any ideas would be awesome????

I'm just gonna post a link so the pic doesn't blow up.

https://windrate.com/blacksheep.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chanc2 said:
The noise may just happened to be the brake or shifting cables hitting with the frame.
I dunno..... It's a little more creaky then a slap slap sound. And the freaking loud freewheel noise from these EA wheels make it harder to listen for other noises.. I'm not diggin that loud hub.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JaeP said:
What size?
The biggest those people would sell me..... 58cm. Seriously though, I was riding a 60cm and was professionally fitted to it. I'm 6'2" w/ inseam of 34 but all of the fit calculators want me on a 58cm. Seems fine and I just put everything, like the seat and so on, where the 60 is at. If you notice, that's a lot of seat tube sticking up.

Also, I road 28 miles yesterday which is a lot for me... especially since I road in heat of the day and it's 104 here. I wear cotton shirts and look for vacant houses every 10 miles or so and just soak my body with water. It felt so good once you take off in the wind. In any case, I never heard the creaking sound at all. But I did hear the cable slap if I hit a little pot hole or something. I did tighten the seat tube before I started the ride so maybe....

Also, is there a definitive answer on which bike maker uses these frames?

Thanks for the ideas and hopefully this ride will last a long time too.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,493 Posts
Dklein said:
The biggest those people would sell me..... 58cm. Seriously though, I was riding a 60cm and was professionally fitted to it. I'm 6'2" w/ inseam of 34 but all of the fit calculators want me on a 58cm. Seems fine and I just put everything, like the seat and so on, where the 60 is at. If you notice, that's a lot of seat tube sticking up.

Also, I road 28 miles yesterday which is a lot for me... especially since I road in heat of the day and it's 104 here. I wear cotton shirts and look for vacant houses every 10 miles or so and just soak my body with water. It felt so good once you take off in the wind. In any case, I never heard the creaking sound at all. But I did hear the cable slap if I hit a little pot hole or something. I did tighten the seat tube before I started the ride so maybe....

Also, is there a definitive answer on which bike maker uses these frames?

Thanks for the ideas and hopefully this ride will last a long time too.
I have been eyeballing these frames for a while but was hesitant because of the size limitation. I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam (LeMond method) and I normally ride a 60cm but I do have a 58cm RB-2 and love it. I may have to pull the trigger and get me one.

BTW, your expose seatpost isn't that bad. On my Schwinn Fastback I have 22.5cm of exposed seatpost

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
looks like a lot of spacers under that stem - you're not going to get a specified limit of spacers for that fork from the builder but if it's over 1.5 inches (the limit of some fork makers like alpha q), I'd consider reducing it and getting a stem with a higher rise. I wouldn't take a chance with those forks...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JaeP said:
I have been eyeballing these frames for a while but was hesitant because of the size limitation. I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam (LeMond method) and I normally ride a 60cm but I do have a 58cm RB-2 and love it. I may have to pull the trigger and get me one.

BTW, your expose seatpost isn't that bad. On my Schwinn Fastback I have 22.5cm of exposed seatpost
Ok.... you win!! That is a ton of seat tube.

Here's my old 60cm GT.

https://windrate.com/red.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stevesbike said:
looks like a lot of spacers under that stem - you're not going to get a specified limit of spacers for that fork from the builder but if it's over 1.5 inches (the limit of some fork makers like alpha q), I'd consider reducing it and getting a stem with a higher rise. I wouldn't take a chance with those forks...
Good point and thanks for reaffirming a question I had. I like the guys at Performance who built this bike and they did a great job. I was gonna build it but I'd 'f it up somehow and that is the one place I'd do it. I wanted everything positioned exactly like my old GT and I brought it in for them to measure and cut the fork tube. The guy shook his head and said no, you'll break it if I put that many spacers in. It is at 1 1/4" inch of spacers right now. It needed another 1/2" to get where I was. But I'm still kinda confused where all of that pressure will come from that could break it? But at least you confirmed the same concern he had.

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stevesbike said:
happy to help - re the spacers, think of a steerer tube like a lever (the same weight applied at different lengths on the lever results in greater force). Specialized makes a good stem that has a set of adjustable shims to alter the angle). Better to do this with stem angle than spacers...

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=41848
Yeah... I looked around the store and saw different angled on stems. Even one that had some kind of rotating adjuster so I gave in and said give me as much as you can. I see the lever point you are making.... just seems a 1/2" more isn't gonna make that much difference but I guess it does. After all, it is carbon and it's not very thick up there.

Thanks for link! Looks like a nice product.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.