Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
41-year-old gets four-year ban for steroids - VeloNews.com

The 41-year-old tested positive for an exogenous anabolic steroid, which was confirmed by carbon isotope ratio (CIR) analysis, anastrozole, LGD-4033, and ostarine. The sample collected was collected December 5, 2015.

Buckley finished fifth in the 2015 U.S. time trial national championships in the 40-44 age group. He also finished seventh in the criterium at nationals in Ogden, Utah.

Read more at 41-year-old gets four-year ban for steroids - VeloNews.com
Nice. :rolleyes:

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
jock types who never had any glory in their prime or can't let go of it past their age of normal competition

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
It appears that as the pro peloton is cleaning itself up (or it tries to), the amateur and masters pelotons are taking it to new precedent. Bike racing for weekend warriors is a serious business

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
It appears that as the pro peloton is cleaning itself up (or it tries to), the amateur and masters pelotons are taking it to new precedent. Bike racing for weekend warriors is a serious business
since the Lance era the sport has attracted a whole new set of a holes. Newbies who probably came from other sports and have no idea of the history of the sport

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
I had the inside scoop on this guy's positive:
I know that USADA knocked on some prominent racer's door in the past few months and he tested positive. So that's not an event, it's a rider's address. (They haven't had a press release on it but I assume they will soon enough.)
I don't know Buckley beyond seeing him around but I am friends with some of his (former?) friends.

He has always had a puffy face and some acne.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I enjoy these stories. If someone has to juice to beat me in a race over a pair of sunglasses or a new taillight, I pity them.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Great video local. I love this excerpt from Bob's video, "The only products you need to slaughter are bread and water. Pan y agua!"

I sort of agree master nationals should be cancelled. Pathetic.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It seems to me that many in the cycling world just assume that people are taking PEDs for cycling. I used to work out and compete in natural bodybuilding. One day, I had a guy ask what I was on. I went through my diet and protein powder brands. When I was finished, he asked what I was on...really. I said "nothing else". He couldn't believe it, and proceeded to point out ~75% of the guys in the gym while describing what they were taking. Many were average-looking guys who were on steroids. I asked why. He said, it makes them feel better.

You would be surprised at how many people are taking steroids for trivial reasons. I'm guessing that a percentage of masters AND non-masters are on PEDs for personal reasons outside of bike racing. The added perk of performing well at races is just that, an added perk to the other reason(s) for their PEDs.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
It seems to me that many in the cycling world just assume that people are taking PEDs for cycling. I used to work out and compete in natural bodybuilding. One day, I had a guy ask what I was on. I went through my diet and protein powder brands. When I was finished, he asked what I was on...really. I said "nothing else". He couldn't believe it, and proceeded to point out ~75% of the guys in the gym while describing what they were taking. Many were average-looking guys who were on steroids. I asked why. He said, it makes them feel better.

You would be surprised at how many people are taking steroids for trivial reasons. I'm guessing that a percentage of masters AND non-masters are on PEDs for personal reasons outside of bike racing. The added perk of performing well at races is just that, an added perk to the other reason(s) for their PEDs.
based on my n=1 experience I totally agree. I am shocked how many guys I work with take T. Most of the guys are in their 50's. When we get talking about cycling they are always quick to suggest I go to a aging clinic and get a script. When I say that's cheating (they know I race) they easily justify it with this bizarre argument that because I'm old I SHOULD be talking it. These are guys that pride themselves on integrity btw.:rolleyes: Douche nozzles...

Anywho, point is, the line between right and wrong is clearly not the same for people. It's easy to justify the wrong path I guess. Jut no inner self telling them they are losers for cheating I guess.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Nope, not surprised, I've seen the light and it is dim at best.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
based on my n=1 experience I totally agree. I am shocked how many guys I work with take T. Most of the guys are in their 50's. When we get talking about cycling they are always quick to suggest I go to a aging clinic and get a script. When I say that's cheating (they know I race) they easily justify it with this bizarre argument that because I'm old I SHOULD be talking it. These are guys that pride themselves on integrity btw.:rolleyes: Douche nozzles...

Anywho, point is, the line between right and wrong is clearly not the same for people. It's easy to justify the wrong path I guess. Jut no inner self telling them they are losers for cheating I guess.
I have known of a few guys whose physicians insisted that they had Low T and it was a problem. It probably works since it would seem that the US population has a certain tendency for being hypercondriacs.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Great video local. I love this excerpt from Bob's video, "The only products you need to slaughter are bread and water. Pan y agua!"
That excerpt perfectly illustrates how absolutely full of **** bob roll is. Pure duplicity and hypocrisy.

How funny he'd reference pan y agua. Exactly what his buddies Armstrong and Hamilton and the rest of their shady ilk always referred to.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
That excerpt perfectly illustrates how absolutely full of **** bob roll is. Pure duplicity and hypocrisy.

How funny he'd reference pan y agua. Exactly what his buddies Armstrong and Hamilton and the rest of their shady ilk always referred to.
Excellent point. I can't argue with you on this. Still like the quote though...

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I have known of a few guys whose physicians insisted that they had Low T and it was a problem. It probably works since it would seem that the US population has a certain tendency for being hypercondriacs.
Yeah I guess when you combine the money in prescription drug sales (increase in scripts), no integrity, and ego you get masters doping. Certainly this is not limited to cycling. Running, swimming, etc...must have their problems too?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts