Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an odd situation with my two current rides. I have two Ridleys, a Damocles (with a normal seatpost) and a Noah, with the seatmast-style downtube. Ridleys are sized so that I am right at the top for the medium frames or I'd be at the bottom of the large size. I went for the medium, thinking I would only need to cut a small amount off the seat tube on the Noah so I'd have a better shot at resale later..Plus the top tube measurement worked ok, using my prior rides (I keep a record of my set-ups)

Anyhow, I have a long torso, short legs. I use a Ritchey WCS carbon post with lots of setback on the Damocles, matched to a 115 stem length. All is good on that one, I like the position I have there (a Ritchey WCS Streem saddle). On the Noah, however, (same stem length, same saddle) I end up one cm ahead of where I like to be with the saddle..The Damo has a 58cm spread between the c/L of the bars and the nose of the saddle, the Noah, I can only get the saddle back to a 57cm spread. The Ritchey has the longest rails I can find on a saddle shape that suits my butt..The Noah seat mount can't be fudged any further back. So...my next ploy to match the two bikes and the way I want to fit is to change my cleats some..

Question is..In order to use my hamstrings more effectivly on the Noah (it's saddle is a bit too far forward and no further adjustment there is possible) which way would I move my cleats? I use Speedplays and I have smallish (for my height) feet.

After I get (effectivly) further back on the Noah, I anticipate an adjustment to the Damocles so I can finally ride the two bikes using all the same muscles. I use the Damo for crits and for training and the Noah for RRs and for club rides. I love both bikes and I like the size, except I can't get the last .5 cm of saddle adjustment on the Noah...

KOPS shows me dead center on the Damo, and a cm ahead on the Noah, also...as close as you can measure that KOPS..

Anybody? Cleat> = butt forward? or what?
Thanks in advance
Don Hanson

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Pushing your cleats back emphasizes your hams/glutes. Moving them forward works the quads. I have a ti rod in my right femur due to a hip injury and I have to ride with my saddle/cleats pushed back or my thigh will ache..

You could go over to Cyclingnews.com. click on Forms and Fitness Q and A. Tons of stuff there about cleat position...

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks..

C-40 said:
I would do whatever it takes to correct the saddle position, so it's the same on both bikes. I may use a very small 2-3mm difference on purpose, but never 10mm.
I spent some more time on my workstand with the bikes and managed to get that Noah's saddle ahead to almost perfectly match the set up of the Damocles. What a difference it makes to have both bikes set up the same. Checking carefully with a plumb bob, the saddle to BB setback is within a mm now, where it was almost 6mm off (Noah ahead) before.

I'm due to replace my Speedplay cleats shortly, so at that time, I'm planning on moving them a small amout rearward to use a bit more Glute-power in my pedal circle.

It's amazing how small changes affect your bike fit. These two bikes, with virtually identical components and exactly the same geometry felt very different (to my muscles) with just 1/4" of saddle difference. Now, with essentially identical set up, while the ride quality is still unique to each frame, my body likes being put on both bikes in just the same way.

Thanks, C-40, for suggesting I not short-cut and try to 'fudge' the fit..
Don Hanson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.