Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey kids!

Just heard the sirens, turned on the tube, and the prognosis is a violent, swirling death for everybody in Boone Co., MO. I'm upstairs sucking down Jim Beam (as OES intended), while my wife is hunkered down in the basement.

My most vivid memory of the night of the big tornado in Lubbock, TX, that killed almost 30 people in 1970, is that our family housecat freaked out when the vortices (there were three of them, including one that twisted a 20-story building on it's axis) hit town. When my cats start worrying, I'll start worrying. They are sleeping, so I am drinking (upstairs).

I think God is punishing Missourians for being so f***ing stupid. But, that's just me as a Texan talking (plenty of stupid Texans, including me).

Good knowin' y'all! Hasta la later!

Dale

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
God speed.

Not lookin' forward to this hurricane season on the gulf. Winter was too warm.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
I don't know if it's very serious. Katie Horner has only been on for 3 hours. She's usually on air for 17-50 hours if it's a big deal.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Good luck and glad the only thing I'm fearing tonight is waking up to clearing snow off the driveway.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Be safe. Luckily for us, we only have to worry about the occasional snowstorm... and it's still lightly snowing this morning. Geez, just when I was beginning to think that the cycling might be starting soon.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
It's that time of the year, isn't it. The first thing I do when the sirens go off: Send the family down to the basement, and then I grab the camera and head outside. Have yet to actually see one.

One time, 10-15 years ago, I was racing a rainstorm (or so I thought) back to town. Rain occasionally catching up and hitting me with a few drops. As I rode into town the sirens started to go off. I never sprinted so hard in my life to get home. Tornado hit about 5 miles south, but of course I didn't see it. That'll get your heart rate soaring!

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Too funny...

real stonie said:
I don't know if it's very serious. Katie Horner has only been on for 3 hours. She's usually on air for 17-50 hours if it's a big deal.
The only reason she is on for so long is that her family lives in Sedalia and Warrensburg and so shes always on there looking real frazzled, talking to people we dont even know... like "Aunt Edna, you need to get your neighbors and go down into the basement and sit over there near the freezer". What the hell... Man, all it took was one tornado over there a couple of years ago, and they start turning into chicken littles...

You never see Brian Busby standing there all afternoon yammering on about thunderstorms. Hes not into mass hysteria.

Ive never seen it worse than in Springfield, Missouri... though. Those kooks down there, there is one radio station that will send out like 15 reporters to report from all over the place... geez its a FREAKING thunderstorm.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"All clear" sounded -- We's alive!

The purported twisters missed us, but some folks from the Sedalia area, where a tornado damaged trailer homes, got to be on the local news. Highway I-70 was closed near Funk's home due to a truck that got blown over on it's side. Supposed to have more excitement on Saturday night, when the next weather front comes through.

My sincere apologies to Funk and all other Missourians (Fixed is one of 'em, too) for my previous crack about stupidity here. Plenty of good, kind, smart folks here in MO. Being so close to the state legislature and state government (my former employer), I get particularly enraged at the dumb ideas that pass for lawmaking down there in Jeff City(e.g., the legislature cut family planning out of state health budget because "contraception promotes promiscuity"). I'll save my tirades for the P.O. forum.

Hope everybody has a safe weather weekend!

Dale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts