Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Add this to the long list of silly cycling-related inventions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wf5RH5NEa0
I would not call it cycling related so much as fitness related. Low impact, back friendly, outdoor exercise equipment. So for the right person, living in a flat place, with all sorts of pain problems.... I guess maybe. Maybe for someone obese who is looking to get some exercise and has trouble with movement?

Yep, the website markets it as "weightless running". It also says steering provides an upper body workout (ha!)... which explains the weaving in the video.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
I occasionally spot a woman or two riding one of these around the Pasadena, CA area. Not sure whether to commend her for getting outside for some exercise, or chastize her for looking silly.
"Looking silly" is often a reason people don't go out to exercise. It is certainly a barrier to going to the gym, for example. So never chastise someone for looking silly when exercising.

Wait until later and make fun of them outside their presence. :)

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
"Looking silly" is often a reason people don't go out to exercise. It is certainly a barrier to going to the gym, for example. So never chastise someone for looking silly when exercising.

I've been known to yell "get a real bike" when someone on an electric bike passes me when I'm commuting on the bike trail where motorized vehicles are forbidden.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts

It's pretty funny to hear from folks outfitted in bright, colorful, tight fitting Lycra with cameras strapped to their helmets, odd shoes clipped onto their pedals while riding multi-thousand dollar rolling advertisements for cycling companies mocking others for looking silly while exercising.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I occasionally spot a woman or two riding one of these around the Pasadena, CA area. Not sure whether to commend her for getting outside for some exercise, or chastize her for looking silly.
One of the bigger companies that makes those Is pedego. They're literally 2 blocks from my house.

They look dorky and all, but if it's what gets people to go outside for a change... Whatever floats their boat.

They weigh a ton though, so uphill is rough. I've seen some guys going down some large hills on them before. I am morbidly curious to see a crash, just because it would be such an awful mess.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seeing someone on one isn't as bad as getting passed by one.
If I got passed by one of those things I would probably quit cycling. I was passed by a recumbent once and I needed weeks of therapy to deal with it

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Some dudes can really book on a recumbent. Nothing to be ashamed about, unless he was bearded, wearing sneakers, gym shorts, floppy hat, and smoking a pipe.

If I got passed by one of those things I would probably quit cycling. I was passed by a recumbent once and I needed weeks of therapy to deal with it

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Elliptigo is catching on around my town. It's basically an elliptical machine with handlebars and small wheels. I have a couple of friends, including a guy who works at the LBS who swear by it. One buddy spent about $3k on his, carbon fiber bits and what not.

My wife wanted to get me one for my birthday but I told her no way.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
When I commute form time to time I see this woman riding a stair stepper machine that's on wheels.
saw a lovely girl on one of those on the trail down by the waterfront one evening wearing little to nothing at all. i followed close behind for about a mile.

... yell "get a real bike" when someone on an electric bike passes me...
i really hate that when they quickly pass uphill on what looks like a 35 or 40 lb bike.

but it's waaaay better than another car on the road... and i realize not everyone has my good health and bîtchin' vintage style.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
i really hate that when they quickly pass uphill on what looks like a 35 or 40 lb bike.

but it's waaaay better than another car on the road... and i realize not everyone has my good health and bîtchin' vintage style.
The amusing thing I find around here is that everyone I've encountered riding an electric bike looks 10-20 years younger than me and in perfectly fine health. A couple years ago, I'd see 1-2 a week. Now I see 3-4 a day. What's it going to be like when half the folks on the trail are riding these things? Nothing like having someone wearing jeans and tennis shoes blow by you at around 20 mph uphill.

A bicycle is a simple, elegant machine that has been used to get around for a long time. I find it kind of sad that these things are the biggest growth item in the industry. My LBS has about 25 of them on the floor.

·
Mountain bike guide
81 Posts
Ebikes on the road are an amazing thing to get more people outdoors and out of cars. Ridden where they are allowed, I'm all for it. My wife has a Surly Big Dummy that can carry kids and all of the groceries. It's electric and makes it possible for her to do all of that simply and easily. As far as this weird thing, what happens when you tag a pothole or a curb and that bar is right in front of your face? Any chance one of the investors is a dentist?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts