Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help picking out a tire that is best for what I want. I've read a ton of threads and reviews and still can't quite piece it together.

Currently I am running 700x23 Vittoria RUbino Pro III's and they have been ok, but lack some grip climbing and seem to wear pretty quickly. Granted, the roads I ride are all back farm roads so it's not much of a surprise. They are all nicked up and flattened off.

I ride mostly crap roads, sometimes hitting some pretty nasty gravel/dirt roads for a few miles. I weigh in at around 155lbs.

I want a tire that is pretty durable without being ridiculously brick like. I realize there is a trade off between durability and suppleness/light weight, and I lean more toward the durable side of the spectrum. I am also looking more likely at 25c as the roads are pretty chunky around here. I want to ride nicely for a long time and not worry about my tires.

I have a set of velocity A23's wrapped in Stans Yellow tape which I believe is a tubeless set up, which begs the question whether this is the option I should be looking at. I am familiar with tubeless in the MTB arena, just never tried it on road wheels.

From my research, the Conti GP 4 season seems like an obvious choice, though not if I go tubeless. Anything else I should consider? Should I look closely at tubeless?

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I need a little help picking out a tire that is best for what I want. I've read a ton of threads and reviews and still can't quite piece it together.

Currently I am running 700x23 Vittoria RUbino Pro III's and they have been ok, but lack some grip climbing and seem to wear pretty quickly. Granted, the roads I ride are all back farm roads so it's not much of a surprise. They are all nicked up and flattened off.

I ride mostly crap roads, sometimes hitting some pretty nasty gravel/dirt roads for a few miles. I weigh in at around 155lbs.

I want a tire that is pretty durable without being ridiculously brick like. I realize there is a trade off between durability and suppleness/light weight, and I lean more toward the durable side of the spectrum. I am also looking more likely at 25c as the roads are pretty chunky around here. I want to ride nicely for a long time and not worry about my tires.

I have a set of velocity A23's wrapped in Stans Yellow tape which I believe is a tubeless set up, which begs the question whether this is the option I should be looking at. I am familiar with tubeless in the MTB arena, just never tried it on road wheels.

From my research, the Conti GP 4 season seems like an obvious choice, though not if I go tubeless. Anything else I should consider? Should I look closely at tubeless?
Whether you go tubeless is a very open question. People say they are better than sliced bread. Others say they are useless rather than tubeless.

You will get as many tire recommendations as you can stomach and not learn much.

I have good luck with Continental GP 4000s II in 25 mm. Others complain about sidewall cuts. Tires are a wear item. Buy something and ride it. See what you think. If you like them you can buy more, and if not you buy something else.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
tried a crapload of tires over the years...Rubinos, Schwalbe, Michelins, yadda yadda...

for consistent mileage and flat resistance, keep coming back to Conti GP 4Ks.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I will also voice what Kerry Irons and Oxtox said which I find to be very true.

In the 25 to 28mm tires I tend to favor the Conti GP 4000s II and the 4S. In larger size tires I like the Challenge Strada Bianca open tubulars. Adjust your tire pressure until you find the sweet spot for your liking; 5 psi up or down makes a difference.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I use the Maxxis Re-Fuse. They are nearly bulletproof and I can get 3000+ miles on a rear tire. In the durability category, Conti Gatorskins are liked by many.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it seems the consensus is stick with tubes and run the 4000s ii's to see how I like them. Due to the rough roads and gravel in my area I was really eyeing up tubeless, but to be honest I have yet to get a flat due to road conditions.... I hate that I just said that.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
So it seems the consensus is stick with tubes and run the 4000s ii's to see how I like them. Due to the rough roads and gravel in my area I was really eyeing up tubeless, but to be honest I have yet to get a flat due to road conditions.... I hate that I just said that.
I think a slick race tire is a horrible choice for someone looking to address grip problems on nasty gravel roads.
They most certainly have nothing that'll improve grip on gravel over what you're using now and the side walls are way to wimpy to ride any real gravel. Nothing unique here, any light road race tires isn't a good gravel choice. Vittoria Paves are as close to a pure race tire I'd want to use for a lot of gravel riding.

If your bike will take them Challenge Almanzo are a great tires for horrible gravel roads and don't slow you down much on asphalt. They are 33mm though so I doubt your bike will take them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jay... sorry if I was unclear but I am only hitting a mile or two of gravel with this bike. I really am just looking at some standard road tires that meet the criteria I laid out. Also, I can only fit 25c max most likely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts