Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have literally been doing searches for an hour trying to find out who made this bike.

It has a solid black frame and fork (all decals of any kind have been removed, but done without harming the paint), and appears to have the original Shimano 600 group, except it may have a specialized crankset (it says specialized on the 53 chainring).

I think the serial number on the bottom bracket is C894149, but it is very difficult to read.

I have attached a few pictures. One is off the rear dropout which have horizontal screws that can apply tension to the skewer/hub.

The previous owner bought it from his boss, and he thinks its a schwinn.

A couple more things.
The sticker on the head tube is a schwinn homegrown sticker covering two holes which likely held a front badge at one time.
There is a rear "chain holder" braze-on located on the right seat stay.
It has a 7speed in the rear.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My best guess is that this is a Super Sport that had the Biopace chain rings removed.

I noticed that this frame does not have the screw holes on the bottom of the seat stays for a rack or fender like the a world sport of the same era that I saw a picture of. Is this correct.

Anyone have a good serial number source for late 80's Schwinns?

·
Registered
797 Posts
It's not an old school Ralligh made just after the Huffy buy out is it?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am pretty confident that this is a Schwinn derived frame. Is the serial number a Raliegh number?

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
handsomerob said:
I am pretty confident that this is a Schwinn derived frame. Is the serial number a Raliegh number?
No the serial number is not an offical Raleigh number, but maybe I can offer some info/help.

It looks like my Raleigh (see below) and the serial follows a similar pattern for a few of what I have been hunting for, high-end UK built Raleigh USA's from the Huffy days, between the periods when the high-end bike were built by either Marinoni or Panasonic.

If you have some more pics of the seat cluster as well as the dropout type (Campagnolo, Shimano, Suntour, etc...) I might be able to give you some more info.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too absolve myself from any guilt, let me clarify that I just picked this bike up yesterday and have not had any time to clean it. It definitely needs a good cleaning and some fresh grease, but the paint is in great shape and I am sure it will look great after a good clean up.

Here are some more pictures.

Another possible identifying feature are the diamond "braze-ons" on the water bottle holders.

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
handsomerob said:
Too absolve myself from any guilt, let me clarify that I just picked this bike up yesterday and have not had any time to clean it. It definitely needs a good cleaning and some fresh grease, but the paint is in great shape and I am sure it will look great after a good clean up.

Here are some more pictures.

Another possible identifying feature are the diamond "braze-ons" on the water bottle holders.
Doesn't look like a Raleigh close up. Do you know the seatpost size? Should help determine tubing type.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, talk about seat post. I started to slide it out and didn't know if I would ever get it out. That is one looong seat post. The numbers on the post sat 0266, which I guess is a 26.6mm. The picture is showing the post AT the minimum insertion level!!!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SUCCESS, I haven't been able to work whilest questing for the answer. I believe I have it. I found a post with pictures of a 1987? Schwinn Circuit and they are nearly identical.
Also posting a spec sheet on an unknown year Circuit.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone recognize the symbol on the crank arm? They are 175mm, but are not marked with a manufacturer. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
You could always send a pic of your bike to Richard Schwinn at Waterford Bikes or to Sheldon Brown and see what they say. Sheldon could prolly ID those cranks.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
99% sure those are Specialized cranks (by that symbol). In addition your inner chainring says specialized on the back side (not that that means anything). The headtube lugs look identical in those 2 comparison pictures. Homegrown!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought that the cranks could be specialized due to the chain ring. These bikes originally came with the Biopace chain rings, and somewhere in the last 18 years the crankset was obviously swapped.

As far as the homegrown, it is just a sticker. I assume when the guy took off all the decals he might have bent/broken the head badge and wanted to cover up the two holes in the frame.

From the info I got the Schwinn Circuit was a top of the line bike made in the Greenville, MS factory (hence the odd serial number). Apparently it retailed for between $650 and $800 and weighed in at about 21 lbs. because of the Columbus SL tubing. I believe that mine was made in March of 1988, due to the serial number C8. C = March and 8 as the year, and the decade had to be 80's.

Anyway it is exactly my size and rides very nicely. Can't wait to the weekend so I can clean her up!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey those rear dropouts are just screaming to make it a fixed project!

Nice looking lugs BTW

-Jay

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
giveme2wheels said:
Hey those rear dropouts are just screaming to make it a fixed project!

Nice looking lugs BTW

-Jay
With my knees, it'll have to be a singlespeed. :)

I just got some info regarding seatpost size that leads me to believe that this is in fact a Schwinn Tempo and not a Circuit. Anyone else with a Tempo, so I can compare details? Apparently the Tempo has a 26.6mm, like my bike, and the Circuit has a 27.2mm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts