Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

(skip this paragraph if you care little about my cycling history)
my first post here. I am looking to get back on the road (from the trail). As a youth I rode agressively through traffic in Portland Or. on a Cannondale road bike. For the last few years I've been a mountain bike guy, for a while on a full suspension enduro and now, for about the last year on a Bianchi DISS. Having fallen back in love with cycling as a result of my time on my ss, I am prepared to not only get back on the tarmac, but also to dive into cycle obscurity by joining you fixed gear loonies.

My intention is to ride street, for athletic training and fun...potentially for commuting. I would like the option of a flip flop rear but I suspect that whatever I set it up with first (fixed or freehub) is what I'll just get used to and then never change. I don't care that much about water bottles as I almost always ride with a camel back. I live in LA so fenders are unnessesary. The idea that I can run over potholes (or drop off curbs) without inevitable blowouts, makes cyclecross tires of some interest to me. My theoretical budget is below $1k.

The bikes I have in mind are the following:

Bianchi Pista ...or maybe San Jose (Pista maybe not the most practical buy I love my Bianchi so...)
Surly Steam Roller
Van Dessel CRB

Also I'm 5'11 with a 30.5 inseem...longish arms, so what? size 56? 53 w/ long stem?

Is there a LBS in the LA area (westside or valley) that is really good with SS/Fixed?

Sorry for the thread being so darn long and thanks in advance.

· Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like an IRO Angus might be just the thing (http://www.irocycle.com/.
No bottle mounts, clearance for a 700x28 for a little cushion in the rough stuff. Upgrade to the deluxe wheelset for the Deep V rims (they're bullet proof) and you'd be set.

· Registered
127 Posts
I was just in Sundance Cycles in Agoura Hills off the 101 at Kanan. They just might have a Bianchi for you in an appropriate size. Also, up the road at Michael's Bikes they gotten some props for helping with fixed gear builds. Give 'em both a call.

· Registered
414 Posts
Check the Van Dessel website for dealers or you could revert to your roots and call up Cycle Path in PDX. You're probably riding a 53, your inseam is close to mine and that's what I'm on. Just got my CRB a few weeks ago, freaking love it man. Only way to bike commute from SW PDX to Wilsonville.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.