Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the past i was mid range rider, not a crazy fanatic but also more of a mtn biker ( i do have a specliazed allex comp). I plan on doing more riding this year and I am looking to stay on my bike during the winter but found some of the old trainers boring, so i was wondering how the interactive ones are when you use an app like Zwift?

My next debate is how much to spend, i was looking at the Elite Qubo Digital Interactive Trainer
https://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1208227_-1___000000

or the Wahoo Kickr Snap, Kinetic Road Machine Smart Trainer

The Elite one is 30% off and i didnt know if at my intermediate level is the additional money for the Wahoo is worth it? I have the wahoo heart rate monitor already and it works great, i also want to incorporate that into Zwift.

So any reviews or opinions on either trainer, i hate buying junk just because its cheaper but also dont mind saving a few bucks!

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions!

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
DCrainmaker has done a number of reviews.

I believe the cyclops 410 with virtual training is the best (you can also get cycleops as a trainer if you don't mind your regular bike taking the abuse). Cycleops has the most experience in this field.
In the past i was mid range rider, not a crazy fanatic but also more of a mtn biker ( i do have a specliazed allex comp). I plan on doing more riding this year and I am looking to stay on my bike during the winter but found some of the old trainers boring, so i was wondering how the interactive ones are when you use an app like Zwift?

My next debate is how much to spend, i was looking at the Elite Qubo Digital Interactive Trainer
https://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1208227_-1___000000

or the Wahoo Kickr Snap, Kinetic Road Machine Smart Trainer

The Elite one is 30% off and i didnt know if at my intermediate level is the additional money for the Wahoo is worth it? I have the wahoo heart rate monitor already and it works great, i also want to incorporate that into Zwift.

So any reviews or opinions on either trainer, i hate buying junk just because its cheaper but also dont mind saving a few bucks!

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i read his reviews but id rather use my road bike hooked up to a trainer than buying one big unit.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The Kickr plus Zwift made all the difference in the world for me as far as being able to stay motivated on a trainer. I think I would feel the same with any high quality smart trainer as long as it worked with Zwift.

·
Registered
760 Posts
FWIW, the Elite is down to $449 now at Performance...minus an additional 20% off for their "Trainer Sale", brings it to $360.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you think of the Tacx flow smart as well? I'll be buying one tonight w the sale.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
If you're interested in the Elite Qubo, I highly recommend trying one before buying. The Elite does not have a tension adjustment. The only thing holding the wheel onto the roller is your body weight. If you do any standing to pedal, the wheel becomes unweighted and slips. I tried one and hated it.

I can recommend the Tacx. My gf has the vortex and loves it. I've used it a few times and it has a nice feel.
Looks like the flow is pretty much the same but with 150w less resistance. The Tacx is really good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you're interested in the Elite Qubo, I highly recommend trying one before buying. The Elite does not have a tension adjustment. The only thing holding the wheel onto the roller is your body weight. If you do any standing to pedal, the wheel becomes unweighted and slips. I tried one and hated it.

I can recommend the Tacx. My gf has the vortex and loves it. I've used it a few times and it has a nice feel.
Looks like the flow is pretty much the same but with 150w less resistance. The Tacx is really good bang for the buck.
I also had a Elite Qubo a couple of years ago and hated for the same reason. Worthless if you wanted to stand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another vote here for the Wahoo Kickr Snap. Can't speak for the Elite Qubo but the Kickr has actually made me enthusiastic about getting on the trainer especially with Zwift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
After doing a bunch of reading, I ordered a KICKR Snap this week. Wahoo's trainers seem to have a reputation for high build quality and also for the best 3rd party app support in the market.

I considered the KICKR, but didn't want to futz with taking the wheel off and putting it back on. I also like that the Snap is more compact and can fold up. My "pain cave" will be the corner of my garage where I do other stuff, like park my car, so there's no dedicated space for a permanently set up trainer.

·
Registered
383 Posts
KICKR Snap. you can do a lot more, prescribe your own workout via prescribed resistance, etc. I've thoroughly enjoyed it with Trainerroad.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Smart for Christmas. I love it.

https://kurtkinetic.com/products/kinetic-road-machine-smart/

The flavor that I ended up with has the power meter with a Bluetooth connection. It doesn't have the interactive resistance control.

The things that made me plop for the Kinetic are (1) good road feel....smooooooth, (2) robust construction, and (3) a good training app. (with plans, etc.) via the Kinetic Fit app (which admittedly requires a subscription). It is a quality piece of equipment that should last for years.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The flavor that I ended up with has the power meter with a Bluetooth connection. It doesn't have the interactive resistance control.
If this is true "It doesn't have the interactive resistance control", this is not true "the power meter with a Bluetooth connection".

Yours is a fluid trainer with a device that measures the rpm of the bar that touches your wheel. The fluid trainer has a known rpm to power curve. So power is not measured, it is estimated with an algorithm using rpm as an input.

The confusing/misleading marketing Kinetic uses does not help (Kurt smart does not mean computer can control resistance; for rest of industry smart = computer can control resistance).

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If this is true "It doesn't have the interactive resistance control", this is not true "the power meter with a Bluetooth connection".

Yours is a fluid trainer with a device that measures the rpm of the bar that touches your wheel. The fluid trainer has a known rpm to power curve. So power is not measured, it is estimated with an algorithm using rpm as an input.

The confusing/misleading marketing Kinetic uses does not help (Kurt smart does not mean computer can control resistance; for rest of industry smart = computer can control resistance).
Yup! This is the whole reason that I went from a KK dumb trainer to a Wahoo KICKR. Well, that and the whole app/subscription silliness.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The fluid trainer has a known rpm to power curve. So power is not measured, it is estimated with an algorithm using rpm as an input.
I use a KK and it's a fine machine - the algorithm used for the power curve I find fairly close at the start, but I would not call it 'known' as it warms up during a session - the resistance drops 5% or more depending on how long and hard you are riding. The dropoff can be minimized with a fan blowing directly on the resistance unit, but not totally mitigated.

·
Done
4,509 Posts

Well, hells bells, you are correct.

Still like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts