Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i think i'll take the inner city of a big biking community over rural iowa.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Political action starts with cycling advocates demanding change at City and County council meetings. The Good Ol' Boys that are sitting there want cyclist off the roads most likely so somebody has to hold them responsible for lack of action with each and every unfavorable occurrence.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
If this was a "Bicycle Crash" then all the people that died in the twin towers on 9-11 were killed due to a "building collapse" ....

Bicycle crash presents the situation as the bicycle was the cause.

Cyclist struck and killed by truck driver would be more accurate.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I would bet if they found 9 dead Bald Eagles ( just an example) along the road side they would be digging into that hard and fast and would be a Tragedy...but bicyclist....they just blow that off to be a everyday accident. I don't think its safe to ride any were any more..but gotta keep doing it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Reason why gravel riding is becoming more popular in the state.
I will admit that is one reason I am doing more on the dirt lately. Others in my area are doing the same.

Gravel is great, but the need to do it in an effort to stay alive while riding is beyond sad.

·
Registered
668 Posts
This exact 4 mile stretch of road is absolutely the worst part of my commute, when I do commute by bike. And its also why I bought a CX bike first, to ride the gravel shoulder, not that I should have to - but that's always been part of the calculation I've made.

I've heard from the county board who plan to repave this awful section (its beaten and cracked as badly as anything that can still be called blacktop) in 2018... They also plan to add paved shoulders...

I have no actual knowledge of what happened, but can speculate what caused this, and it all boils down to similar factors... the automobile driver drove too fast, drove distracted and/or drove carelessly, if not negligently... The cyclist rode legally on the road, on the cracked up pavement. And got hit. And killed, because the driver, who is probably an otherwise mediocre to decent human being, forgot (neglected to remember) that a GMC Sierra can do a **** ton of damage to other legal road users. And that driver also probably was in a hurry, because he wanted to make it to work on time.

0630 is well after sunrise this time of year, and that section of road is pretty much North-South so there's really no reason that the cyclist shouldn't have been plenty visible.

Just depressing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts