Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "think" its tendonitis. Would kind of work with what I did to exacerbate it.

Had to take 11 days off due to upper respitory infection, and was in decent shape beforehand. Went out to ride a somewhat easy 50 miles on first day back and it turned out not to be so easy with 25mph+ sustained winds. I felt the knee starting to tweak then.

I take a day off, and I feel it, but its nothing severe, just enough to let me know its still there. Next day knee feels fine, I dont want to push it... so I take the say off and more or less just easy pedal on the trainer with mimimum resistance.

Next day, hill intervals. I could feel it, but nothing severe. It was not worse, it was not better. It was not really irritated by any specific motion, but definitly was more present in the downstroke... located... in the top inner corner of my patella on my right leg. When bent and you are feeling around in there, I can feel slight discomfort when touching the edge of my kneecap, from about 1oclock to 3oclock if you were facing my knee.

Next day.. yesterday... medium to easy paced 50 miles. Still there. Not worse, not better... So... that being said... you think this is something I could/should train through. I notice no increased popping or sharp pains or anything... just a reminder.

The thing is we have State Road race a week from Sunday and Im doing everything I can to try and make up from the 11 days off. I think Im in palatable shape and not sure If I should let this clear up, or if this is something you all have trained through before.

(no change in positioning whatsoever)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Exactly the same. I am using 1) Icepacks twice a day 2) Judicious NSAID , aleve,
bufferin, ibuprofen 3) muscle rub on affected area with highest concentration of menthol 10% and salicylate 30%. 4) Hamstring and quad stretches 5) judicious hamstring strength training 6) and please don't laugh at this one, because I know it works- I use an ace bandage on the knee while I'm riding for the heat and mild pressure. Oh yes, and try not to get in a situation where you are lurching forward when seated in too high a gear. Standing
up on hills breaks up the repetitive motion and eases the onset.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Sounds like tendinitis, doing exercises to strengthen your quad can help. Ice and rest are the best thing for that. Have you adjusted your seat height at all? I have a bum left knee with tendinitis and raising my seat just 2mm helps a great deal!

Tim

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If muscles hurt, HTFU. If tendons or connective tissue hurt, find the cause and fix it. You can't ride through ligament and tendon problems except at very low torque, spinning rides. It won't get better until you quit abusing it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It could also be a torn cartilage....just maybe???
Try this for big-time relief of knee pain:
Call it what you wish, Voodoo, Witchcraft, ‘BS’, whatever….but it DID WORK for me.
Having recently torn the cartilage in my left knee & water-on-the-knee and also been diagnosed with Arthritis in the same, I was doing some Web searching for magical pain relief remedies (other than my already supplementation of Glucosamine Sulfate, Chondrotin, Taurine, Collagen, HA, Cats Claw, Bromelain, MSM, etc., etc., etc….all of which I have been taking for years due to 27 yrs of cycling….but at 67.5yo, something had to give). One item that kept popping up on the Searches was an old time remedy of Castor Oil. I’m not in terrible pain, but it is a 24/7 aggravation, as anyone who has similar discomforts can attest to. Two weeks ago, I decided to give it a try; purchased a package of ladies’ cosmetic, cleansing pads (~3”x4”) and a small bottle of Castor Oil (CO), I placed a pad on a small plate, saturated the pad with CO and popped it into the microwave for about 35 secs. I then placed the (110°?) warm pad on my knee, covered it with plastic wrap (to keep the CO from staining the heating pad) and then applied a heating pad. I left it on for about 1 hour and when I removed everything, I did a ‘test walk’…not only was my knee not stiff, I could walk with about 95% less discomfort, this was 10x more effective than the Cortisone or three Hydraluronic Acid injections I had received in the last Month. The other nice thing, is that you don’t have to throw the saturated pad away; place in a Ziploc bag for the next application.

http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T350155.html
http://www.edgarcayce.org/th/tharchiv/therapies/castor1.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil

I still try to get in at least 38-40m each ride; all without pain. Out of habit, I ice down afterwards, then apply the CO treatment... call me nuts, but it works!

It's a cheap test...$3 for the CO..... and it may bring you as much relief as it does for me...

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
dunno about all that other stuff, but Glocasamine/Chondrointin keep my knees happy. I take it daily.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Controlled experiment

******* said:
I then placed the (110°?) warm pad on my knee, covered it with plastic wrap (to keep the CO from staining the heating pad) and then applied a heating pad. I left it on for about 1 hour and when I removed everything, I did a ‘test walk’…not only was my knee not stiff, I could walk with about 95% less discomfort, this was 10x more effective than the Cortisone or three Hydraluronic Acid injections I had received in the last Month.
OK, now try it with just the heating pad (no CO). It may have the same effect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.