Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspired by a past pocket knife thread to finally splurge on a good knife. Originally I was terrible impressed by the RAT Izula neck knife

I found one local (for almost double the price), but was concerned that it was a bit small.

So, I am now considering between these two:

The RAT RC3 (or maybe 4)

Or the DPx Hest

And, just to be clear, I need none of these, they are a late self-gift. I am not terribly outdorrsy or planning to invade any war-zones. I might use this once or twice a year for camping or whatnot. Maybe a bit of survival for 2012? I basically just want a cool knife I can use when I need it.

I dig the 2nd one for its collness factor, but I am concerned all the extra little stuff might get in the way of actual use. On the other hand, the quality seems high enough to make it worth serious consideration.

If I get the RC, should I go 3" or 4". Any real reason besides preference?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Own Private Idaho said:
The little point on the handle of the last one looks dangerous. I'd pass on all of those, not really my thing.

I have kids, so I don't understand.
I read a whole write up on that knife by the designer. He is some sort of Rambo type. Way tougher than me. That point is supposed to be a pry bar to save the knife point from being used as such. The little knotches are for pulling things or whatnot and lashing. The handles are removable, so you can store survival type stuff in there.

I have 3 kids. I buy them lots of toys they rarely play with, so this is my turn.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Hest

24601 said:
...I might use this once or twice a year for camping or whatnot. Maybe a bit of survival for 2012? I basically just want a cool knife I can use when I need it...
Been lusting over the Hest for a while now. Let me know how you like it when you finally succumb to your inner desires.

·
Custom User Title
760 Posts
I'd pass on the HEST. 3/16 thick with a partial flat grind and ~4" blade makes for a thick knife. You may not be impressed with it's slicing ability. Other things like the pommel point and that angled choil are going to be pita's for normal use. If it were mine, I'd open up the choil and grind some of that point off the pommel.

I'd probably just go for the Izula. It comes in different colors too.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'd have to agree with others on the last knife. A blade of that length at 3/16" is a bit thick for practical use. Sure you can probably split the firewood with it, but there are better tools for that. I once bought a bowie with a 1/4" thick 6" blade on it. It's impressive to look at, and you'd be able to hack down some small trees with it. But in actual use it's not the most useful tool. There are some excellent designs out there for functional camping (not "camp" knife - different meaning) knife. For most camping chores (and even moderate survival uses) a 3"-4", 1/8" thick maximum blade is plenty. Some pretty awesome looking, some not so much. Some of my favorite fixed-blade designs come from Bob Dozier. Or the Russell knives based on the Grohlman (sp?) patterns. Go to the A.G. Russell site to see examples (or buy) of these.

Bob

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting thoughts about the thickness. I actually am somewhat attracted to the "tough as nails" aspect of both more than a finesse type. I am always impressed with what survival types can do on all those TV shows. I know not a single knife I own would hold up under those circumstances.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,730 Posts
I've got an Imperial similar to this one. Very basic, inexpensive, holds an edge very well, and doesn't rust. It's been my boat knife for 11 years now. Cost me $10 at Wal Mart.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny, I have the exact knife from that picture in my pocket right now. I really can't stand it. Looking to really move up this time.

·
Canon Fodder
686 Posts
Just remember smaller is bigger. don't get carried away on size, a 2" to 3" blade will be more than enough for anything you will do. Buy a nice 2.5" folder/lockblade made of good steel with a drop point. If your going to be cleaning any game with it find one with a Kratex handle as it will have a very good grip when wet or bloody.

If you want cool and have some bucks to burn, find a nice Damascus steel folder.

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
get a KABAR!!!!!!!!!! - I still use my grandpa's WWII he had in the Marines!!!!!!

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
I'd skip the HEST, that point on the bottom scares me.

The RC4 is about the same size as my Gerber LMF II (and smaller than the original Gerber LMF that I carried in Iraq).

The blade is a good size, shape & strength for a tactical / field / camping / utility knife. I carry mine while I hunt for non game purposes as the blade is way too cumbersome to skin with.

The RC3 blade length gets seems a little small for a fixed blade knife; seems like that is folder territory to me.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Watched some videos on YouTube last night on the hest, and it seemed the point fit well at the bottom of all their palms. Much better than I expected. The notches at the top, however, they all seemed confused about. Wish there were the RC4. with the Hest handle.

For the advice on other knives, I am pretty much down to these in my decision making. Definitely not getting a folder. I like these for the steel they use, the handles, and ,of course, the look. The fact that they are well accepted as useful and useable doesn't hurt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts