Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a clicking noise in my front wheel. If I take the wheel off and bounce it it still clicks. The noise goes away when I take the skewer out. I have tried switching skewers, but the noise returns. Any ideas?
I'm using King hubs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
838 Posts
What kind of skewer is it? I have found that the older all metal Mavic skewers will develop a clicking from the lever. Also it could be your valve stem, either tighten the nut down on the stem more or slide a rubber o-ring over the valve stem up against the rim.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
As dumb as this sounds I once had a clicking sound from a tire that wasn't seated properly in the valve stem area. While it was happening I was positive it was the computer magnet hitting the sensor but that was not it....it was the tire....just not seated all the way properly.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Clicking... or creaking? Sometimes spokes will flex slightly, either against each other or at the nipple.

Check spoke tension (and that potential tire seating problem) to avoid a catastrophic failure and the resulting faceplant.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had the wheels tightened. The thing is... it will make a "rattle" or "click" if you take the wheel off and bounce it with a skewer mounted. Take the skewer out and it is solid. No noise. I tried it with CB skewers, Shimano and Garneau. Same situation.

I took it to my LBS and my builder was stumped. Then the sound went away after he went to show me the skewer was making the noise. So I left. Everything was fine for a week... then "click, click,click".

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Dajianshan said:
I just had the wheels tightened. The thing is... it will make a "rattle" or "click" if you take the wheel off and bounce it with a skewer mounted. Take the skewer out and it is solid. No noise. I tried it with CB skewers, Shimano and Garneau. Same situation.

I took it to my LBS and my builder was stumped. Then the sound went away after he went to show me the skewer was making the noise. So I left. Everything was fine for a week... then "click, click,click".
It's already been mentioned, but check your valve stem nuts (if present) and tighten them before every ride. Just a few psi tire pressure change can cause them to get loose enough to click.

Skewers, when tightened in a frame seem an unlikely culprit. I'd keep looking.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Dajianshan said:
I took off the valve nuts. When the skewer is out the sound is gone.
When it's off the bike is the wheel spinning on the axle or the skewer? (It should be spinning on the axle). I guess it's possible that part of the wheel or axle is hitting skewer, but that should be easy to spot.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sound occurs when bouncing the wheel with the skewers in. When I ride the front wheel makes all kinds of noise. I stop. Bounce the front and it makes noise. I take the front wheel off and it makes the noise. I take the skewer out and bounce... and the noise is gone.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Dajianshan said:
The sound occurs when bouncing the wheel with the skewers in. When I ride the front wheel makes all kinds of noise. I stop. Bounce the front and it makes noise. I take the front wheel off and it makes the noise. I take the skewer out and bounce... and the noise is gone.
I know it's a basic question, but is the skewer tight when it's in its locked position on the bike?

Another thing to try, since it seems to happen with any skewer, have you tried looking down the axle hole to see if there's anything inside it hitting the skewer when it's installed?

There has to be a cause for the noise, but it sounds like you've eliminated just about every possibility. There is a chance that you're dealing with multiple noises- one stops and another starts. It's a long shot, but it has to be something.

Finally, have you tried putting the wheel on another bike? And the quiet wheel from another bike on yours? (If you've got a bike noise problem + a wheel noise problem this might help track it down).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts