Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't riden in a long while. Used to ride a Fuji Supreme back in the 80's. Now I'm 41, 6'5" and 225lbs and looking to get back into riding. I immedaitely went to my LBS to find that they have no selection of xl or 58cm and up bikes for me to try. So I go online and try dozens of shops within a 25 mile radius to be told we dont stock anything because we dont sell enough of that size but if you give us a deposit we'll order one for you. Deposit ($100)will be taken off the purchase price if I decide to buy the bike. I did find 1 shop with a Giant OCR1 But what if I dont like the bike?

I'm looking at a cx bike that I can change tires on so I can ride street and take on the NJ canal paths with my 6yo son. Does this make sense? If so can you help me narrow my search so that I can "order" a bike or two in to test? The OCR1 I can get for 700.00 with a custom fit and a neck swap but I dont want to settle.

Please give me your thoughts or recommend a shop in NJ that can help.

Mac

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I think you are too tall for a 58cm, you need a larger bike. If you are looking at the lower priced bikes, they may not have a larger bike until you spend a few bucks more to get their better bikes. Several bike stores I can recommend and they all have websites Knapp's, Halter's, Guy's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You could consider ordering a bike online...no test ride but big bang for your buck. Check out the Motobecane Fantom Cross. It comes in up to a 64cm frame and is very well equipped. Its always good to try and support an LBS but if that's not working out for you, this is an option.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
The cross bike is a good option. I know it can be frustrating to find bikes, but there are some out there. Just keep looking! What is your price range?

I would not buy over the internet for this bike. You need to be able to ride something before you buy it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If a shop tells you that 58cm is too large to stock, then run as fast as you can towards the door. That is a bad retailer that either didn't order enough or has no idea at all what they are doing.

P.S. You probably need a 60cm

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Big difference between a 58 & 60. There's also different ways to measure a 58, actual top tube length, virtual top tube length, some companies use the seat tube for their bike sizing.

I would never buy a bike off the internet unless I knew all the dimensions of the frame and I went for a complete frame fitting from someone such as a certified Serotta fitter. Then with those dimensions you can compare.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Go to a reputable bike shop to find the properly sized frame your going to need. Any bike shop worth their salt will be able to get you what your looking for within reason. I would not recommend getting a bike over the internet. If you do that, any repair needed will cost $ regardless of what it is. Also what if it doesn't meet your expectations, fit, etc? A local reputable bike store should gladly handle any minor adjustments, fixes and what not, they want your business, because you will be back to buy needed stuff for your bike and maybe down the road another bike or two.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
coinstar2k said:
P.S. You probably need a 60cm
I'd say bigger than that--I'm 6'2 and ride a 60 in most frames. My Colnago is 62, but they measure differently.

//most bike shops will not stock those sizes, but they should be able to measure you and order one that will fit.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
I'm almost exactly the same size as you are (6'5" and 230lbs) and I have bikes from 60cm - 64cm. They all ride fine. I don't know your proportions, but my guess is you are going to be in the same range. I'd put you on a 62 and adjust from there.

Another option is for you to buy a frame and fork and have your LBS build it up for you. It would probably take a little scrounging to find all the parts, but you could build up a perfectly serviceable bike with 105 level components for $1000 without much problem. That way they could help you with some of the fit issues.

If you want to go that route, I've got a Trek2300 frame/fork/headset that I'd make you a VERY good deal on. It's nothing fancy, but it would build up into a very solid first bike. It's just collecting dust in my garage.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested. Even if you aren't and just need some insight from a fellow tall rider, I'd be glad to help.

(sorry for the commercial pitch)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess my biggest issue is finding a repuatable shop. I have contacted all within a reasonable duistance to be told that I need to commit to a bike first then order one. I cant commit without at least being measured and seeing one even if its too small. One bike shop that is supposed to be the best around wants me to take a leftover they have instead of ordering! Unreal in today's economy! I am actually trying to spend money if someone would only provide good service!!

As for building one, it would be fun but I just dont have the time. I have the ability but taking the time would be a hassel.

There are a couple of shops over the border from NJ in PA. I'll try them this weekend,
Mac

·
Registered
232 Posts
Actually most use the seat tube

lawrence said:
There's also different ways to measure a 58, actual top tube length, virtual top tube length, some companies use the seat tube for their bike sizing.
Almost ALL bike companies size via the seat tube. It may vary on how they size (some are center to center and some are center to top) but the seat tube length is the main sizing. I've not seen any company use the top tube length as their advertised sizing (though I'm someone is somewhere).

That is not to say that top tube length is no less important...but when your looking at a 60cm frame, its referencing the seat tube.

:thumbsup:

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
handymanmac said:
I guess my biggest issue is finding a repuatable shop. I have contacted all within a reasonable duistance to be told that I need to commit to a bike first then order one. I cant commit without at least being measured and seeing one even if its too small. One bike shop that is supposed to be the best around wants me to take a leftover they have instead of ordering! Unreal in today's economy! I am actually trying to spend money if someone would only provide good service!!

As for building one, it would be fun but I just dont have the time. I have the ability but taking the time would be a hassel.

There are a couple of shops over the border from NJ in PA. I'll try them this weekend,
Mac
There's nothing wrong with a "leftover" bike if it's NOS and it fits. They'll probably make you a good deal on it.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
hayduke1972 said:
Almost ALL bike companies size via the seat tube. It may vary on how they size (some are center to center and some are center to top) but the seat tube length is the main sizing. I've not seen any company use the top tube length as their advertised sizing (though I'm someone is somewhere).

That is not to say that top tube length is no less important...but when your looking at a 60cm frame, its referencing the seat tube.

:thumbsup:
I'd argue on a road bike that TT length is more important than seat tube.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
All bike shops have interest free loans before they have to pay for the bike. It's dependent upon how many bikes they sell in a year. Sometimes they get 18 months to pay. 3-6 months isn't unusual. They could bring in a larger frame bike and keep it for a while not have to worry about paying interest on it. The bike shop should be doing a measurement of what bike you need and bringing that size in and selling it to you rather than selling you a bike that's on the floor and doesn't fit. This is not a good shop, it's a dishonest shop. I'd find myself another shop very fast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's an update! Found a tiny local bikeshop that is willing to help. They can put me in an 07 Giant OCR1 XL(58.5cm) for $700.00 or a 08 Fuji Newest 2.0 XL (58cm) for $660.00
What are your thoughts? The fuji has a Sora drivetrain the giant a tiagra. Both fit into my budget and my size now just to decide.

Mac

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mac
I went thru a fitting recently and at just barely 6' tall am comfortable on a 56 cm Cdale. I honestly don't think you could possibly fit on a 58 at 6'4" with standard proportions.
If you want to take a bit of a trip try Cyclesport in Park Ridge, NJ. They carry entry to high end and are a Serrotta fit shop. As a walk in they spent an hour and a half putting me on different bikes and making adjustments just to give me a comforable test ride. I'm very happy with the shop and have been back spending lots of $ on accessories, but I don't think they sold me anything I didn't end up wanting/needing.

good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bothfeet

Your right on the money. I stopped by a friend of a friends house who is my size and rode one of his bikes. I thought the bikes I test rode today felt good, this one was 10x better. He has hooked me up with a bike shop over the bridge in PA for tonight who will fit me on several demo bikes and help me decide. I cant belive my LBS shops dont or rather wont provide customer service. I'll post my experience from tonights shop when I return.
Mac

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE!!!
Finally found a great shop! I spent 2 hours there going over everything. What I found out is that a need a 61cm or 62cm bike depending on Manufacturer. I tried out a Cannondale and trek 2.1. They are putting together a felt Z90 for me to try on Wednesday. The price range is huge from 600.00 for the Felt to 1300.00 for the trek and a little more for the cannondale. Didnt want to go over a 1k so we'll see after Wednesday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.