Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and thanks in advance.

After a few days of lurking I finally signed up and decided to pop probably the most frequent question here...what bike to buy?

I am looking for road/tri bike mainly for recreational riding however I hope to get into some racing in the near future. Primarily it will be a means to take some stress of the body from pounding the pavement too frequently, but I hope to take up a real passion for riding. I am a pretty big guy, 6'3''/210lbs for what its worth.

My budget is about $1500, however I can go over if I need to. I would like a mid-level bike that will last as well as perform. I would also entertain purchasing a used bike if it is worth it for my needs. I would also entertain a used bike if the price/condition/value is right though I would rather buy new (preferably a previous years model to save a little cash.) I used to be pretty involved in the MTB scene a few years back, so I'd like to think I am relatively intelligent when it comes to names/parts/terms/brands, etc.

I am mainly looking for a few models to check out to see what fits me best. I'll be heading to a few local shops over the long weekend to take a look as well as get fit, however I wanted to have a little background before I went.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,872 Posts
You'll want to make sure to get something that is comfortable for you--so ride a few bikes to get a feel.

That being said, you might take a look at some LeMond bikes--they should be on closeout at most shops. Our local shop has full carbon LeMond Versailles for $1499. The Buenos Aires should only be a few hundred more. If you need to spend a little less (and leave room for clothes, pedals, etc.), take a look at the Alpe D'Huez.

You should be able to get a full carbon sale bike w/105 or Ultegra for $1500-2000. Another option might be a stiff aluminum bike--like a Cannondale CAAD9 5. The geometry is a little more aggressive, which will be nice for racing but might not be a comfortable starter bike.

In any case, you should be getting Shimano 105/Ultegra, SRAM Rival or Campy Veloce parts on a 2007 or other sale bike in that price range. Being your first bike, I'd put a lot of importance on the bike shop support and fitting--find a good shop with a good sale and ride their bikes.

· Registered
642 Posts
Your exactly where I was two years ago.
$1500 is tough price point.
Entry level bikes with lower end components are at $1000 - $1200.
Carbon fiber bikes with mixed groups start a $2000.
According to the bike mags, "mid-range" bikes start at $3000.
I had a tough time finding a bike that would make me really happy.
Over year of shopping and research, I talked myself up to $2000 budget.
I got lucky and picked up a "mid-range" bike on closeout for $1400.
+1 on the Lemond.
I don't know if you'll find a better deal this time of year.

· Registered
18 Posts
I was in the same position that you were in, similar weight/size, budget, and wants. I went w/ a Soma Smoothie. I bought mine from www.GHVbikes.com w/ a 105 build kit & carbon fork. Steel will give you the smooth ride of carbon w/o the price tag. It also holds up much better that aluminum over the long haul.

The only difference I would make is getting Tom to set the bike up w/ some open pro/velocity deep v rims and Ultegra hubs. Go for a 32 spoke. The 105 wheels I got w/ the bike have a really low spoke count and I will be replacing them in September when my birthday rolls around. I should of done that right out of the gate. You will be able to get the bike for right around $1500.00 shipped.

That's just my two cents :thumbsup:

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and info. The LBS had a barely broken in Roubaix (read sold and back in the store same day) that fit me like a glove for $1300 with a bunch of goodies added on. Put about 50 miles on it over two rides and couldn't be happier.

· Registered
219 Posts
TJgreg5 said:
My budget is about $1500, however I can go over if I need to. I would like a mid-level bike that will last as well as perform. I would also entertain purchasing a used bike if it is worth it for my needs. I would also entertain a used bike if the price/condition/value is right though I would rather buy new (preferably a previous years model to save a little cash.) I used to be pretty involved in the MTB scene a few years back, so I'd like to think I am relatively intelligent when it comes to names/parts/terms/brands, etc.
your real question is "what are you going to do with the bike?"
that will drive what you buy. you need to know:

- miles/hours a week?
- terrain (tt, road bike, cross)?
- your riding style (climbing, flats, descending)?
- training/racing?
- group/solo?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.