Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. Here's the real deal. I want to get a road bike b/c currently I have a MTB. I currently just use my bike to get from job to job about 10 miles max/day. I originally got the bike to comute from A to B but have fell in love with riding. I'm just trying to figure out what the best bike to get? I dont' really mind spending a lot as long as it's worth the money. Sorry, I really didn't want to be another "newbie" asking for "what the best bike to get" but I guess that's what it's coming down to for me. I'm torn between saving some coin and buying a bike online or just going down to performancebike in Torrance? Or if you have some suggestions on good LBS in the LA area that would be awesome as I am new to the area.

I'm about 5'5" and 160lbs, currently single and like long walks along the beach :) . Don't really care about racing I just want a comfortable bike that's going to last. I guess I would say that I'm looking for a commuter bike with the option of putting on some miles. Thanks a billion for your help so far

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Go in to a LBS and look around. There are a lot of commuter type bikes out there now that cycling is picking up, and companies are offering all kinds of models at all kinds of prices. You may want to look in to a Salsa Casseroll, Surly Long Haul Trucker as they are both excellent bikes and I don't think that many people on this board has much of anything bad to say about either of those bikes.

Shiimano 105 is good stuff and will last a long time. It's a bit heavier but the new 105 stuff looks fantastic and is really all you need. Ultegra is nice, might shift a little better and be a little lighter, but for starting out commuting it's more than you need, honestly. And if you get into it you'll probably want to upgrade way before the stuff wants to die.

I'd go for something complete, personally. You'll save money and hassle. And you'll also probably be able to get a 10% discount at whichever shop you buy the bike from (most have a deal like this. Buy a complete bike from them and they give you 10% or whatever on future purchases).

I'd recommend the salsa. It'd make an awesome commuter and it will be a decent bike to do some miles on when you're feeling like it. It's also probably going to be lighter than a Surly.

I'd go check out your LBS and take a few test rides. Hit up a few different shops and see the brands they offer. I'm sure we'll have plenty of suggestions based on the brands. And the LBS guys should be helpful as well ;)

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
born2bike said:
Thanks Daddio...

Just curious on the price of La Salsa? And I was wondering if you had any thoughts on a Giant OCR 2 for around 600?

I don't now much about Giants, honestly.

The Casseroll comes in two different versions. One is a single speed and the other is geared. If you live in a flat area the single would be great. If you regularly hit up hills you probably want to go geared.

The single is, if I remember correctly, about $800, and the tipple (has three chainrings in the front) is substantially more. I want to say about $1400 or so.

That may be more than you want to spend,it is quite a bit of money.

The most important thing is that you get someting you want to ride. Get out there and try some bikes. I know Torelli came out with a new commuter type bike that looks pretty good.

Get out there to the LBS and hear what they have to say about their brands. Ride a few around the parking lot and take home whichever one you like the most.

joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.