Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got another noise issue, I recently changed my rear der. from the mirage (9 speed) that was on it to a veloce, (9 speed). Since I am stuck riding on the stand ( cycle-ops mag trainer) I have more than enough time to notice all the odd noises. Since the rear der. swap I notice that the drive train is noticeably noisier (chain noise I believe, like the links hitting the teeth on the cogs and sprockets.) It is not a clatter like the chain rubbing on something. It shifts like a dream, is adjusted properly, the indexing is perfect it just runs a little noisier....The chain is not worn according to my Parks guage and it is well lubed....I have a PC69 chain (same as I have been using for years). I am wondering if I should switch to a campy 9 spd chain. I do know that the rear roller on the mag-trainer is a little noisy (going bad-noisy) Could the souund be telegraphing through the stand to the frame so that it sounds like the bike?. I took it in to the LBS and had it on their stand...I didn't hear it then. The tech cleaned and lubed the cassette and hub-thing. HELP....... I have tried to rule out everything...and at 53 I highly doubt that my hearing is just improving.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
If you didn't hear it on your LBS' stand, I'd be quick to blame the trainer. If I couldn't see anything wrong, I'd leave it until I rode it outside a few times. Ask someone to ride beside/behind you, to see if they can hear or see anything.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. Versatile said:
If you didn't hear it on your LBS' stand, I'd be quick to blame the trainer. If I couldn't see anything wrong, I'd leave it until I rode it outside a few times. Ask someone to ride beside/behind you, to see if they can hear or see anything.

I did some searching and noted a post suggesting that the top rear der. pulley, if it is stuck (no lateral movement) it may well cause noise and it is not impossible for them to be stuck on a new der. I went up and checked and there did not appear to be any lateral movement. I manipulated it and freed it up, put a drop of lube on the spacers and it appears to be a bit quieter. Not sure if it is the whole problem but it may have been. Trust me, there is nothing I would like more than to ride down the road to test it out, unfortunately we just got another 5 or 6 inches of wet heavy snow and the time I should have spent riding, was spent plowing out my driveway!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts