Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some shots from around my town. Some good, some bad, but I like these for whatever reason. Feel free to comment as necessary. I'm really trying to improve! :)

We've got lots of problems with homeless folks now. They had set up a large Hooverville type camp near downtown and it got disbanded after the size kept growing. The word is that the place had a good reputation as somewhere to "live" and people kept coming into the area. Now the poor folks are spread out all over downtown sleeping where they can.

Artsy trashcan!

Sin or Savior?

Making the best of harsh light.

Ghosts of trains past.

Not a good shot, but a sign of the times. I also liked how the house was being lit from the evening sun reflecting of the mirrored windows of a commercial building across the street.

No entry.

Communion. (Sorry about the harsh light but I had to shoot straight into the sun to get this shot and talk about flare!)

Guardian Angel.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more.

Father Cool.

Low Clearance.

Tall People Need Not Enter.

Whatcha looking at Willis?

Endless.

One of our Photography Friends just because she let me snap a shot.

The Fuzz.

Freedom Strings.

Red. (Yes, it was really that color).

Night Visitor. (You should have seen the dirty look that guy gave me when he nearly ran into me in the rather dark alley.)

Well, because I live here.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I like all of em. I wanted to pick out the few more that I liked a fair bit more but there are several!

Lens flare, ghost train, homeless, nice lady :D are amongst the few.

Cool stuff man.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Nice. I like 'best of harsh light' and 'no entry' in particular, and for very different reasons. Just because, mostly.

'Guardian Angel' is a strong composition. Be nice to bring just the door down just a little post-process. Not much, just to bring a tiny bit of detail around and above the handle. You might be able to bring the whole image down a half to full step, but I suspect you'd loose too much of the lowlight brickwork.

Good work in tough light.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks danl. I'll see what I can do. I'm not the best postprocesser in the world and sometimes do scary things :).

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Some really nice shots. You've got a good eye for color and texture. I like the trashcan one best. Been years since visiting the Reno area. Trippy town.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Great stuff, Ridge. I love the communion in harsh light in particular. And the cool lighting on the "sign of the times" is ... cool.

Photo friend is f-ing gorgeous. HTH.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dr. R. Like I keep saying, you and other's urban stuff has really inspired me to get down and really explore the urban areas of our town (such as they are). Getting to meet some, uh, interesting people also :).

Photofriend is another photofriend's girlfriend. He's one lucky dude. She's half his age, a total goof ball, great personality, and is extremely photogenic.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Very very nice.

Len

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Really nice stuff.

I like the creek with the wood bridge and the low clearance is pretty geometrically cool.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Big. I have fun trying to find oddball patterns and whatnot.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks MB.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Get back on the bike. :p Whenever I see the term "walkabout" I envision Queen Elizabeth doing one her "walkabouts" when visiting some town or country. Of course, I say that and then I will be sorry two weeks from now when you are ripping my legs off in Santa Cruz. :cryin:

If you decide to get back on the bike but continue urban photography, be careful. Although I am camera challenged (i.e., I don't own one and my family will not let me touch any of theirs because I tend to break cameras), I do some urban sightseeing from time-to-time. Last night, I was riding home from work and decided to explore some houses on a hill that I can see from my usual route in the valley below. I was in the wrong gear, going up a cobbled alley and looking at an interesting, old mill house when I should have had my eyes on the road surface. I hit a gap the wrong way and ended up on the ground. I have a nice bruise on my leg and my rear derailleur now is not shifting as well as it did before the little tumble. I know that falls are part of cycling, but a solo crash while riding 5 mph is beyond embarassing.

Actually, I like your urban photos. But, I like your rural photos better. If you are going to do urban, you need to visit us here on the East Coast. We can show you true urban. :yikes:

I was intrigued by your "Father Cool" photo. Not only were there a lot of priests in the photo, but it looks like a bishop was there, too. It must have been a fairly significant event.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MarkS, I don't think you'll have to worry about me ripping your legs off. I have only ridden four times in the past few weeks with the last one on Sunday at 48 miles. It nearly killed me and I was SLOW! I just want to be in good enough shape to complete the easier of the two rides while I'm down there.

I'm the worst for looking at everything but the road when carrying a camera. I've almost wiped out on mutliple occasions but so far have been lucky enough to stay somewhat upright. Glad you didn't get more than a bruise.

I love the rural stuff too but have to drive further to get to it. All the cool stuff around the city has been removed for subdivisions pretty much. I can't wait until the snow begins to melt so I can get back into the Sierras without snowshoes again.

I may get a chance to get somewhat close to your neck of the woods. My wife got asked if she wants to go to D.C. for most of a week sometime in June. If I'm not travelling somewhere I'm thinking of flying out to play around with my camera to see if I can get 1% as good photos as MB. Who knows, maybe I'll take a train to Baltimore and try not to get myself killed in a bad neighborhood. :)

I'm not sure what was going on with all the clergy. I got there just as they were getting ready to enter church. There were several of the bishop type hats being worn.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Ridgetop said:
I may get a chance to get somewhat close to your neck of the woods. My wife got asked if she wants to go to D.C. for most of a week sometime in June. If I'm not travelling somewhere I'm thinking of flying out to play around with my camera to see if I can get 1% as good photos as MB. Who knows, maybe I'll take a train to Baltimore and try not to get myself killed in a bad neighborhood. :)
If you come to Baltimore, I can lend you a bike if you want to do some riding. I can even show you some of the places where Arby did some of his choice urban photography.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts