Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up with Realtors? I'm trying to buy a house. I went through three agents, including the listing agent, before one ever called me back. I gave each one three days before I went on to the next one. One called me back once, told me he'd look into it, and never got back to me. I know that the commission on a $50,000 house isn't huge, but its a slam-dunk. The fourth agent finally set up an appointment to show me the house. I looked around for five minutes, and told her to start on the paperwork, that I want to put in an offer for asking price. Now she won't call me back.

Man, my abrasive personality is either getting worse, or maybe I smell bad.

EDIT:: I forgot to add, I gave each Realtor my work number, my home number, and my e-mail. Maybe they only do business by fax?

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now, yes. This is a mobile home on a 5-acre lot. Three years ago this place would have been $175,000. That's why I want to buy it now.

Tucson is a buyer's market.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at one that was on 10 acres with a 1600 square foot manufactured house on it for $55,000. There's a $400,000 custom home right next to it. If it wasn't 35 miles away from my house I'd buy that one instead.

·
Proud luddite
7,191 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
Dang. I might have to invest in real estate in Tuscon.
It's totally a buyer's market here. AZ was one of the worst states when it came to sub-prime mortgages, so we have more foreclosures than you can possibly imagine. Lots of houses for sale, lots of people with upside down mortgages trying to cut their losses and move on. Things have really changed in a couple years, that's for sure.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only place I've seen that's worse than Tucson right now is Las Vegas. I saw a condo there that sold for $350,000 three years ago, never lived in, selling for $45,000.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
The only place I've seen that's worse than Tucson right now is Las Vegas. I saw a condo there that sold for $350,000 three years ago, never lived in, selling for $45,000.
Even I can buy that!

·
Proud luddite
7,191 Posts
Yeah, I think Nevada and Arizona are the 2 worst housing markets for sellers in the nation. I wonder if that condo you are referring is in one of those apartment complexes that turned their units into condos. These are run-of-the-mill apartments being sold as condos a few years ago for ridiculous sums of money. Now these "apartment owners" are stuck with a unit that nobody in their right mind would touch. Lots of folks are paying the price for the housing craziness of the last 10 years or so.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
azpeterb said:
Yeah, I think Nevada and Arizona are the 2 worst housing markets for sellers in the nation. I wonder if that condo you are referring is in one of those apartment complexes that turned their units into condos. These are run-of-the-mill apartments being sold as condos a few years ago for ridiculous sums of money. Now these "apartment owners" are stuck with a unit that nobody in their right mind would touch. Lots of folks are paying the price for the housing craziness of the last 10 years or so.
This was a townhouse, new construction, never lived in.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I know, but even he wouldn't get back to me.
Crazy...last time I called my realtor he got back to me within the hour and showed me a house that afternoon. Then again it was a $900k house. No...I didn't buy it.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Can you find the owner's name and contact info? Cut out the realtor for incompetence and save the seller and maybe you some money.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jorgy said:
Can you find the owner's name and contact info? Cut out the realtor for incompetence and save the seller and maybe you some money.

Can't do that. The listing agent has the exclusive right to sell the property. It has to go through him.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Can't do that. The listing agent has the exclusive right to sell the property. It has to go through him.
Annoying how that works.

On a $50,000 property, a Listing Agent's standard cut would be $1500, and (roughly) half he'd have to pay to his brokerage firm, if he worked for Remax or whomever.

I suppose it depends upon how much work is involved.

You're paying cash, right? Getting a loan on a mobile is darn near impossible these days. You could probably get a nonconforming loan for the value of the land, $15k or whatever.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Did you give them at least a few different ways to reach you?

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Argentius said:
Annoying how that works.

On a $50,000 property, a Listing Agent's standard cut would be $1500, and (roughly) half he'd have to pay to his brokerage firm, if he worked for Remax or whomever.

I suppose it depends upon how much work is involved.

You're paying cash, right? Getting a loan on a mobile is darn near impossible these days. You could probably get a nonconforming loan for the value of the land, $15k or whatever.

Paying cash. The lot next door to this place is $85,000, with no water, septic, power, or phone, so a loan shouldn't be a problem, but it would be.

Like I said, I know the commission ain't much, but I'm not asking for much either. I'd do a day's work for $750.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
man, if AZ. is an escrow state, just walk up to the front door and tell them you'll give them asking price. call the title company, tell them you have escrow money and get the ball rolling with negotiations and closing costs while keeping the title company rep. in teh loop.......that is ALL a realtor does, all the work is done by the title company. rid yourself of the middle man.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts