Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I learned...

1. Very, very easy to do this! No more copy and paste the link!
2. You can attach multiple photos! Albeit you must do this one photo at a time. It would be easier to select several photos and upload all at once, but this is so much easier than the old way I can live with one at a time!
3. Be careful when uploading - plan very carefully the order you want the pix to appear. You can't alter the arrangement after uploading without removing all the pix below where you want the new photo, then re-uploading those you removed. It would be much easier if you could arrange the order of photos after uploading.
4. You can't post captions for each photo. This may be seen as a limitation, but it is kind of nice to have a short description of the entire series and then just scrolling through without interruption, as it were.

Gregg, I like many of the features of this new format, but I'm really, REALLY going to miss the ease of viewing the entire thread without opening the original post. The hybrid view helps, but you still just can't scan the entire forum at a glance...

Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just learned something else - if you edit your signature it changes the signature on all previous posts! Cool!

But here's another negative - I post my photos at 600 pixels wide, to fit my monitor resolution without scrolling (800x600). When I scroll over to have the whole photo on the screen the poster's info slides off the screen to the left. So in order to see who replied I have to scroll left to see the info, then scroll right to read the post (which is forced to the width of the photos). This is very cumbersome.

On a positive note, I DO like being able to edit my posts any time I want!!!

However, I could feasably bait someone with a troll-type post, get their reply, then change the original post to make the respondant look stupid... Hmmmm, this may prove interesting!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Just wondering. Can you add multiple pics w/out jumping through hoops.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Oh, and it looks like I have to fix my signature :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kram59 said:
Just wondering. Can you add multiple pics w/out jumping through hoops.
Yup! You have to upload one at a time. Here's the process:
1. Click on the Upload Photos button below the message block. A popup similar to the old one then prompts you to enter the file name or browse your HD for the photo.
2. Click on the Browse button, navigate to your photos, click on the desired photo, then Open. This puts the path and filename of the photo in the file to upload box.
3. Still in the pop-up, click Upload. The filename then appears in a box titled Current Attachments.
4. Repeat 2 and 3 to upload more photos. Really quite easy, but you can only do this one photo at a time. You can also remove any photos you want by clicking on the Remove button that appears beside each photo filename. In order to rearrange the order of photos you have to Remove all photos that are below where you want to insert the new photo, then re-upload the photos you removed.
5. When you're finished uploading click on Close Window. You're returned to the new message editing window.

The biggest problem at this point is that you have to scroll down to the next block after the message text block to see where your attachment filenames are. And when you preview your post you can't see the photos.

It actually takes more time to describe the process than to actually do it.

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Good feedback bowwow...

I think the main problem is not being able to caption each photo. That kinda sucks.

I'm glad you find it easy to handle the pictures.

The solution to the problem you're describing is the horizontal setup, which is the way I originally had the RBR forums setup. What this means is, instead of the avatars and titles being in the left hand column, they were showing up above the main post, in a horizontal row. This would solve the scrolling right-left, like you are describing.

But, the decision was made to stick with the left hand column for now. Polls show that the majority of users are at 1024x768 or larger, so that is the new "standard". Either layout creates a bunch of wasted space, though. I guess, ideally, this would be a user selectable function, but currently it is not.

Not to be smart or anything, but monitors are very cheap now. You can even get an 18" flat display monitor for under $500 now (well, here in Silicon Valley, you can). 18" CRT's are much cheaper.

-g

BowWow said:
Just learned something else - if you edit your signature it changes the signature on all previous posts! Cool!

But here's another negative - I post my photos at 600 pixels wide, to fit my monitor resolution without scrolling (800x600). When I scroll over to have the whole photo on the screen the poster's info slides off the screen to the left. So in order to see who replied I have to scroll left to see the info, then scroll right to read the post (which is forced to the width of the photos). This is very cumbersome.

On a positive note, I DO like being able to edit my posts any time I want!!!

However, I could feasably bait someone with a troll-type post, get their reply, then change the original post to make the respondant look stupid... Hmmmm, this may prove interesting!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
gregg said:
I think the main problem is not being able to caption each photo. That kinda sucks.

I'm glad you find it easy to handle the pictures.

The solution to the problem you're describing is the horizontal setup, which is the way I originally had the RBR forums setup. What this means is, instead of the avatars and titles being in the left hand column, they were showing up above the main post, in a horizontal row. This would solve the scrolling right-left, like you are describing.

But, the decision was made to stick with the left hand column for now. Polls show that the majority of users are at 1024x768 or larger, so that is the new "standard". Either layout creates a bunch of wasted space, though. I guess, ideally, this would be a user selectable function, but currently it is not.

Not to be smart or anything, but monitors are very cheap now. You can even get an 18" flat display monitor for under $500 now (well, here in Silicon Valley, you can). 18" CRT's are much cheaper.

-g
Grin - currently using a 15" CRT because it fits on the desk, and seems to be sufficient for my needs - freeing up cash for bike stuff! I anticipate upgrading to a 15" flat screen, but it'll have to wait until next fall at the earliest. I suppose I could run a higher resolution, but the old eyes like the bigger images...

============

OK, just switched to 1024x768. Now I can see bigger photos! And when I upload the larger photos (maybe 1000 pixels wide?), the problem returns - can't see who the poster is. However, the alternative as you described sounds even less attractive...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts