Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I took delivery of my brand new wheels that Mike Garcia built up for me. The stats are:
White Industries H1 hubs 24/28
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
IRD Cadence rims
596g front, 772g rear = 1368g total

The ride is great...nice and firm. They also spin up very nicely since they are so much lighter than the Ksyrium Elites that came on the bike. These will make some great racing wheels for me. If anyone is in the market for wheels I reccomend Mike very highly.

·
Registered
446 Posts
What'd those run you

can you shoot me an email with what those ran for prince... tried to email and pm you, wasn't working... looking at a build form him, think these will be out of my range though...

thanks

[email protected]

·
Registered
446 Posts
What'd those run you

sorry, board is having issues today... got an error, then it was posted... sorry if you got an email and a pm as well...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice wheelset. I have a set of Cadence rims and have no idea why they are not more popular, offset spoke bed, eyelets, light weight?

On the rear wheel, Mike usually runs the pulling spokes "elbows in". I wonder why he changed for your wheelset.

Cheers,

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Those are nice! I've been looking at trying to score some hubs and tools on ebay and trying to build up a set of wheels myself. I know I wouldn't save money but imagine I would enjoy the process and learn a lot doing it. Seeing posts like these has me thinking that maybe I should just let a pro like Mike or Ligero do the job.

For those who have them, how sturdy are the Cadence rims? I go about 200 pounds but wonder if these would hold up with decent hubs and 3x lacing. I guess if I would trash them I wouldn't be out too much and would still have the hubs to rebuild.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
MTBRBrian said:
Today I took delivery of my brand new wheels that Mike Garcia built up for me. The stats are:
White Industries H1 hubs 24/28
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
IRD Cadence rims
596g front, 772g rear = 1368g total

The ride is great...nice and firm. They also spin up very nicely since they are so much lighter than the Ksyrium Elites that came on the bike. These will make some great racing wheels for me. If anyone is in the market for wheels I reccomend Mike very highly.
Come back in 3 years or 30,000 miles with an update. - TF

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Yeah, I'm expecting these to last quite a while so we'll see if I can't hold true on that long-term use update.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
crumjack said:
For those who have them, how sturdy are the Cadence rims? I go about 200 pounds but wonder if these would hold up with decent hubs and 3x lacing.
Those are light rims. Maybe if you are very "light" on the bike for your 200 lbs they would be ok with a 32/36 lacing with light spokes. Especially for your first build, I'd suggest heavier rims.

BTW, if the hub can take radial lacing, 3x doesn't buy you extra strength.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
rruff said:
Those are light rims. Maybe if you are very "light" on the bike for your 200 lbs they would be ok with a 32/36 lacing with light spokes. Especially for your first build, I'd suggest heavier rims.

BTW, if the hub can take radial lacing, 3x doesn't buy you extra strength.
Thanks for the advice, ruff. You're right, I should probly go with something traditional and put the stupid light build off til I know what I'm doing. I try to ride light but still cross my share of RR tracks. Also trying to shed some weight but that may only get me down to 180.

Sorry to be hijack, how difficult is a basic wheel build?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
crumjack said:
Sorry to be hijack, how difficult is a basic wheel build?
It isn't rocket science, but you should read up on the subject and take your time. If you have specific questions, ask them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts