Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old CAAD7 has been retired and traded in for a new SuperSix 3. There are a couple of hundred miles on it and, while the ride is great, there is a shifting issue and I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback. It's got the standard SI Carbon Double 39/53 with an Ultegra 12-27 cassette.

All is well until I'm in the small chainring and get down to about the 15 or 14 cog on the cassette. At that time, even though the small front chainring seems to be trimmed ok, the front wants to shift to the big chainring and, as a result, the chain gets hung and I have to stop pedalling, shift all the way down and then back up to the big chain ring to get the chain aligned properly. It appears that I need to stay out of the 39 front, 12-13-14-15 rear combination, which seems an excessive limitation.

I'll be taking it into the shop when I have a chance but, in the meantime, wondered if anyone had a similar issue.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
johno1 said:
The old CAAD7 has been retired and traded in for a new SuperSix 3. There are a couple of hundred miles on it and, while the ride is great, there is a shifting issue and I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback. It's got the standard SI Carbon Double 39/53 with an Ultegra 12-27 cassette.

All is well until I'm in the small chainring and get down to about the 15 or 14 cog on the cassette. At that time, even though the small front chainring seems to be trimmed ok, the front wants to shift to the big chainring and, as a result, the chain gets hung and I have to stop pedalling, shift all the way down and then back up to the big chain ring to get the chain aligned properly. It appears that I need to stay out of the 39 front, 12-13-14-15 rear combination, which seems an excessive limitation.

I'll be taking it into the shop when I have a chance but, in the meantime, wondered if anyone had a similar issue.
I have the same problem but only when in the 39/11 which is really cross chaining anyway. The Front D is set up right, its just the the angle of the chain from the 11 to the 39 is so extreme that the chain will grab the front big chainring ramps & try to shift itself. I also have the 2008 carbon BB30 crank.

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
I have the SI carbon compact (50/34) crank, and while I've never encountered anything quite like what you describe, about 6 months ago it started doing something it never before had & that no mechanic has yet to be able to figure out: When I'm in the small chainring I need to trim (right/up) as soon as I go smaller than the 4th largest cog.

Never used to have that problem, but all of a sudden I can't ride in the 34/17 or smaller unless I hit the fd trim.

But in any case, I suspect that both my problem & the OP's have more to do with the fd setup than with the carbon SI cranks themselves.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm having chainline issues with my 08 SuperSix and BB30 SI Carbon cranks as well. I don't think it's the frame or the crank. I believe it's a BB30 spacing issue. Do they make spacers or is there anyway to push the drive side crank arm out a few mm?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm running a Si alum compact 50/34 with Campy 13/29 setup even with Campy setup when I'm in 34/13 the chain is rub with FD, so the best thing is not to run the smallest gear on the cassette.

·
Naso Unicornis
907 Posts
I would be surprised if the chain "didn't" hit the outter plate of your front derailleur when using the 39 chainring in combination with the 12-15 cogs of the cassette. At the 15 you're nearing center but at 39-12 you're in a cross gear. You could think of it as as being the same as the 53-27.

Not sure if I haven't adjusted something right but I can't ride in the 53-27 combination. My chain wants to switch to the 39 chainring. Ironically, I did not have this condition when I was using a 9 speed drive train. My drive train is currently setup with Ultegra 6600 and Dura Ace 7700 Crankset (don't like the appearance of the 7800 crankset).

CHL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SicBith said:
I'm having chainline issues with my 08 SuperSix and BB30 SI Carbon cranks as well. I don't think it's the frame or the crank. I believe it's a BB30 spacing issue. Do they make spacers or is there anyway to push the drive side crank arm out a few mm?
This issue I'm describing, if it's the same s SicBith, is not a FD or FD trim issue as the chain is not hittng the FD, it is also well between the limit screws and does not seem to be a cross chain issue because it's happening so high in the cogset, ie: 39 chainring to the 14 or 15 cog on the 12 - 27 cogset. It could be a spacing problem, I suppose. I'm also thinkng it could still be a problem with the crank.

Does anyone have a SuperSix 3 with standard SI Carbon Double 39/53 that is shifting normally, especially through the small chain ring?

SicBeth, have you gotten any feedback from your dealer?

·
Registered
449 Posts
johno1 said:
This issue I'm describing, if it's the same s SicBith, is not a FD or FD trim issue as the chain is not hittng the FD, it is also well between the limit screws and does not seem to be a cross chain issue because it's happening so high in the cogset, ie: 39 chainring to the 14 or 15 cog on the 12 - 27 cogset. It could be a spacing problem, I suppose. I'm also thinkng it could still be a problem with the crank.

Does anyone have a SuperSix 3 with standard SI Carbon Double 39/53 that is shifting normally, especially through the small chain ring?

SicBeth, have you gotten any feedback from your dealer?
I believe we do have the same issue. As I have plenty of room with my FD as well. The issue is the 50 ring wanting to pick up the chain in the lower 3 cogs. I'll let you know what the LBS says.

·
Registered
449 Posts
As expected LBS said there is no spacer that could solve my problem, and to not use those gears, or get a 11/27 or 11/28 cassette and cross the big ring as it generally won't jump down.
Looks like we're f**ked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SicBith said:
As expected LBS said there is no spacer that could solve my problem, and to not use those gears, or get a 11/27 or 11/28 cassette and cross the big ring as it generally won't jump down.
Looks like we're f**ked.
It is the same problem, except mine has a 53t big ring. I haven't had a chance to contact my LBS ad It may be a couple of days before I can. It will be a real bummer if I can only get 15 gears when I expected 18 (knowing i loose one gear postion on each chain ring due to cross chaining). I find it hard to believe that cannondale designed such a lmitation as part of their system integration. Maybe I'll drop cannondale a line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.