Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking of Size I went 2 bike shops one in Englewood, Co and one in Colorado Springs. the first one I went to was in Englewood I am 5'11" and he recommended a 58 test road the bike and was very comfortable tried the the 56 and seemed to small could be not use to it. the first bike was a Trek and the next one was a Felt. They said the 56 was to small.

Now the next bike shop said I needed the 56 and that the 58 was probably to big. This salesman is older. He was talking on more controllability with a smaller bike than one that is to big

As for sizing who is right or does it depend on the brand of bike?

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
depends on your body size besides your height. i'm 5' 11" and ride a 58 trek. i know somebody else who is the same height and needs a much smaller bike. obviously, different bike makers can have different sizing.

· Incredibly slow
581 Posts
There are at least 3 different methods of providing frame size: Center of the bottom bracket to center of the top tube (CTC), center of the bottom bracket to top of the top tube, and center of the bottom bracket to top of the seat tube, with both of the latter abbreviated as CTT. So you can see that a 56 from one manufacturer might be the same size as a 58 from another. And that doesn't take into account top tube length, seat tube angles, and head tube length, all of which are important. Bottom line, if you don't know what fits you, find a shop that will listen to the way you ride and knows how to fit people.

· Registered
620 Posts
What they said...

...one of the more thorough discussion of bike fit I've seen is on the Competitive Cyclist web site:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

I'm not saying that it's the best or the only fit system, but it seems to me to be the most rational and empirical way way of looking at all the measurements that affect bike fit (frame size being only one). The interesting thing is, once you run through the calculator, they then show you that there's a range of sizes that'll work, from the competitive fit, through the more relaxed "Eddy" fit, through the plush French fit...so if you take the time to do these calculations, you'll have, I believe, a better informed opinion of what your range of sizes really is...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.