Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
yeah, only 60 days, but $375 in fines and court costs.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
yeah, only 60 days, but $375 in fines and court costs.
Quite the paltry sum for manslaughter. The drunk driver who hit me 3.5 years ago got 30 days in jail and a couple thousand dollars in fines on top of having to pay for an ignition interlock device on his car. Todd Kidwell also had two separate moving violations after killing Glenda Taylor, but the judge wouldn't take them into account because of the plea deal.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
This isn't over for the driver. I assume that Ms. Taylor's family will sue the driver in a civil action. Sh!t will get real there.

And before everyone lights up about how cyclist's lives are cheap, ask whether the criminal sentence imposed by the court here is similar to the sentence that would have happened if the driver had killed someone who was sitting behind the wheel of another car. My guess (and, yes, it is a guess) is that, if you sift the data, the conclusion that you will draw is that, on the road, EVERYONE'S life in cheap in terms of criminal penalties imposed for causing a death short of actual murder. That's the real problem here, ATMO.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The good news is that there was a criminal charge. That proves who was in the wrong. Without the charges, the perp will reasonably claim that there were no charges; so that must mean he did nothing wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kidwell was originally charged with reckless second-degree murder, so this plea deal was not the outcome I was expecting.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Love the comments at the bottom of the article that blame MS Taylor for riding her bike on the road.

Why does this genius mentality appears in ever comment section for every trial?

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Love the comments at the bottom of the article that blame MS Taylor for riding her bike on the road.

Why does this genius mentality appears in ever comment section for every trial?
Because unfortunately this is the way quite a few people feel. The response by Karen Heath was a good one but I doubt it won anyone over. The best you can do is to be courteous to drivers, and hope that it rubs off

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Because unfortunately this is the way quite a few people feel. The response by Karen Heath was a good one but I doubt it won anyone over. The best you can do is to be courteous to drivers, and hope that it rubs off
I agree. I would say that based on conversations I've had, a large percentage of the American public believes that roads are solely the domain of cars and that anyone riding a bike on the road is suicidal. These are people who like to repeat nonsense arguments like "drivers pay roads, cyclists don't and therefore shouldn't use roads" and "that's what sidewalks are for".

That's the "logical" side, but there's also an emotional/prejudicial side here. I believe many Americans feel that riding a bike is a childish habit practiced solely by hippy weirdos / despicable yuppie poseurs in Lycra / losers who can't afford a car. Obviously, these subhumans don't deserve respect and are getting what they asked for. I would say a large percentage of cops feel similarly. Real adults get a car morons, they say. This opinion stems from an understanding of cycling that extends to that one time they did a one mile sidewalk ride on a rusty beach cruiser to get ice cream eight years ago.

/a bit bitter and sick of this crap.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
This isn't over for the driver. I assume that Ms. Taylor's family will sue the driver in a civil action. Sh!t will get real there.
No doubt. This piece of debris will get sued for millions. In Virginia they can garnish over 50% of your salary (hopefully in KS too). Fat boy gonna have small paychecks for life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts