Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
I try to be a friendly guy in my day-to-day life....if I'm cycling, and I see a fellow cyclist, I'll give a nod or wave, depending on how hard I'm breathing, LOL. If someone brushes the gesture off, I don't feel any the worse for having made it.

I have noticed that over here, most of the Italians will give a hearty "Ciao!", even as they're passing.

·
Registered
23,037 Posts
When I walk around the mall, I wave at everyone I pass. We're all doing the same thing so it must be required we all wave at each other. It's tiring on the arms, but what are you gonna do, be rude?

Seriously though, I don't get why people spend so much time contemplating or caring why people do or don't wave. Personally I usually wave at everyone. Cyclists, runners, walkers, yard mowers. But I don't spend a second thinking why the other guy didnt wave. I couldn't care less.

·
Registered
432 Posts
"It's been proven in numerous academic studies that cyclists and runners who fail to return waves have shorter life spans, sadder weekends, and terrible taste in music."

Great line right there. I'm pro-wave, or at least nod. In fairness though, I can go three to four rides before even seeing another rider...so I'm feeling somewhat wave deprived by the time I do. If I rode an area where I was always seeing other cyclists, I'd probably be a little more lax about it.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Woo Hoo! Thanks to the OP for another wave thread.

It depends. Sometimes I'm a waver and sometimes I'm not. If I'm out on an easy type ride, I'll wave at others who aren't going hard. I won't wave to those I see hammering because I don't really want to be waved at when hammering. Sometimes my wave is bigger than others, gain depending on my mood and circumstances. I don't usually wave at anyone on an MUP though.

After a certain point it i sof no matter. And it actually doesn't matter before that point, but is more fun to talk about and make fun of.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,648 Posts
Isn't this the same f'ing moron at the WSJ who took the fashion "rules" of cycling seriously?

How does this idiot have a job at the WSJ?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Isn't this the same f'ing moron at the WSJ who took the fashion "rules" of cycling seriously?

How does this idiot have a job at the WSJ?
No, it is not the same guy. This guy writes about sports, and only occasionally about cycling, and he seems to write sensibly about the topic when he does. For example, he wrote about the new bikeshare program in a very measured way, in extreme contrast to that insane WSJ editor who was on TV ranting about the totalitarian plot that the bikes represent.
Citi Bike, New York City Bike Share: Bikes and the End of the World?Jason Gay - WSJ.com

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Simple,
you wave always..................even if you are at 40 mph going the other way.......:D

OK, maybe a nod will do at 40+mph.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hmmm, lemme guess what his future articles will be about. Listening to music while riding, the experience of riding on MUP's, bike weight, riding in a group, maybe a helmet article. Sounds easy, just pick up a Bicycling magazine for some material.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.