Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But with a twist.

What if Lars Boom or Julien Absalon were out training on the road? Would it be bad form for them to wear their WC jersey? Not sure how much different a cyclocross or MTB jersey is though. Maybe not at all.

I would be of the opinion that it's no big deal, but I bet other's think different. The reason it's ok is because as far as I know they don't race on the road, unlike a lot of current track WCs.

Totally pointless thread I know, but I was just reading an interview with Absalon and he mentioned that he does training on the road, and I wondered if he wore his WC jersey.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I could swear I saw a youtube.com video of Theo Bos riding on the road with the stripes. I'd search for it, but I'm at work.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
All this is irrelevant. None of us are world champions. I say let the world champions wear any jersey they want at any time.

There is simply too much elitism and stupid tradition in cycling.

PS: The only dudes that have any right to get upset at a world champion for wearing his/her jersey in the wrong place or at the wrong time are other world champions.

PSS: Where can I purchase a good replica world champion jersey? I intend to get one and go on a local club ride and pretend I am Bettini. I am working on the accent as we speak.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Tschai said:
All this is irrelevant. None of us are world champions.
Of course it's irrelevant, it just so happens to be interesting.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tschai said:
All this is irrelevant. None of us are world champions. I say let the world champions wear any jersey they want at any time.

There is simply too much elitism and stupid tradition in cycling.

PS: The only dudes that have any right to get upset at a world champion for wearing his/her jersey in the wrong place or at the wrong time are other world champions.

PSS: Where can I purchase a good replica world champion jersey? I intend to get one and go on a local club ride and pretend I am Bettini. I am working on the accent as we speak.
I'm actually of the mind that it is ok for us recreational schmucks to wear WC jerseys. If the sanctioning bodies didn't like that, they wouldn't license it for resale.

I was just wondering what WCs from other disciplines would do when they trained on the road. Though I guess I'm really just asking for opinions, as you so astutely pointed out that none of us are WCs.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I had a rather lengthy conversation with Maggy this weekend at the CSC Inv. in DC.

This is all paraphrasing - but -

I mentioned in our conversation that he looked good (not c0de) in the custom national champ jersey - he said it was an honor to be able to wear it. I asked if he ever saw others with a replica, he said only kids near his parent's house. I asked him what the peloton thought of replica jerseys - he said that if the rider(s) wearing the jersey were not members of the pro ranks, it is an honor to have fans supporting you with the jersey that you have earned.

There you go folks - it is our hangup, not theirs.......

Zach

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Here in TX they award state champ jerseys for Cat 5's. Is it ok to wear one of those if you didn't earn it? Or even if you did?

Hell's yeah it's OK to wear it! State champ is state champ. You had to beat all the other Cat5's to earn it. That's a big accomplishment regardless of category.

Edge, that was me on the bike path in the WC stripes. You shoulda stopped me and said hello! I was going so fast on the beach MUT, I probably wouldn't have seen you.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
mohair_chair said:
For my money, the WC jersey is won in a race, and is worn in races. Training isn't racing, and if you aren't racing, why are you wearing it?
Same with all those wannabe's who wear their favorite football team jerseys.

I mean come one you'll never be like sean taylor. lol

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Einstruzende said:
But with a twist.

What if Lars Boom or Julien Absalon were out training on the road? Would it be bad form for them to wear their WC jersey? Not sure how much different a cyclocross or MTB jersey is though. Maybe not at all.

I would be of the opinion that it's no big deal, but I bet other's think different. The reason it's ok is because as far as I know they don't race on the road, unlike a lot of current track WCs.

Totally pointless thread I know, but I was just reading an interview with Absalon and he mentioned that he does training on the road, and I wondered if he wore his WC jersey.
I wore an AMGEN ToCali jersey to a bike event, and some girl asked me if I was in it.

I think she was clueless. I'm not really Levi!!!

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
I agree with Lumbergh :) It would never leave my skin. I'd even shower in it...
You paid for it so wear it if you like. That's my opinion. No different than buying and wearing a Manchester United jersey.

As for me I would never wear a pro tour team jersey. Call it misplaced pride, but wearing Lampre, CSC, Astana etc. jersey and have some young kid pass me on an old iron rusty bike would be too embarassing. Open up mother earth and swallow me type of embarassing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.