Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this post:

Want to build my dream bike : Carbon, Titanium, Steel?

... I talk about my desire to build my dream bike. I decided to get a Ti frame. I've spoken with the folks at Firefly, and we've done some preliminary discussion about what I want.

Today at a local bike shop, some of the mechanics were talking about Ti builders in California, and mentioned Steve Potts. I've read a bit about him - apparently he's been building bikes for quite a long time, is an amazing welder, etc.

Are any of you knowledgeable about his work? How would you compare it to Firefly, if you know both?

- Tim

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
There are many talented builders out there. Everyone will always talk about someone. Firefly is certainly well respected, as are others such as Seven, Bedford and Mossaic to name a few. Potts may be as well. Go with someone in your area, if not the builder then a local bike shop partner of the builder.

Why was the local bike shop talking Potts? Do they work with that builder?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the bike building. That's a given with builders in the league you're looking at.

What makes custom bikes good, or not, is bike design. Geometry, tube selection, suited to rider styles ect.
I have no idea about Steve Potts but I'd look into his bike design talent not his welding.

It's pretty hard to match the experience and resources of Seven and Spectrum but certainly there are others out there who can design and execute a great frame.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,056 Posts
My LBS has a relationship with Potts. They get a bike of his every once in a while to sell. Beautiful finish with an eye for detail.

OP, entirely up to you for what you want to spend and what features you want.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are many talented builders out there. Everyone will always talk about someone. Firefly is certainly well respected, as are others such as Seven, Bedford and Mossaic to name a few. Potts may be as well. Go with someone in your area, if not the builder then a local bike shop partner of the builder.

Why was the local bike shop talking Potts? Do they work with that builder?
I'm not sure - I emailed Potts, he's going to call me sometime soon.

- Tim

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a short update - we chatted on the phone; he's a very nice fellow to talk with, sounded just as passionate and excited about the prospect of building someone a new frame as he might have when he first got into the business. :)

One bit of news he told me - the Bay Area has gotten so expensive, he's relocating from Petaluma to a small town in way Northern California (he says he has family up there), where he can have a lot more space for his workshop for a lot less money. A shame it's gotten so expensive around here, but good for him that he'll be able to lower his costs and still put out good work.

- Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Steve's shop is now in Etna, Ca. In Scott Valley, not too far from the Oregon border.

I have a '14 29er from Steve. Incredible bike. Fun even on the street with the knobby tires. The thing flies !

Eventually I'm going to get either a road bike or gravel grinder/all road type bike from him.

I've heard his wait time is down because of one of his sons is helping now a bit.

One of the nicest and most straight-ahead guys I've ever met. Highest recommendation on anything from Steve Potts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.