Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this post:

Want to build my dream bike : Carbon, Titanium, Steel?

... I talk about my desire to build my dream bike. I decided to get a Ti frame. I've spoken with the folks at Firefly, and we've done some preliminary discussion about what I want.

Today at a local bike shop, some of the mechanics were talking about Ti builders in California, and mentioned Steve Potts. I've read a bit about him - apparently he's been building bikes for quite a long time, is an amazing welder, etc.

Are any of you knowledgeable about his work? How would you compare it to Firefly, if you know both?

- Tim

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are many talented builders out there. Everyone will always talk about someone. Firefly is certainly well respected, as are others such as Seven, Bedford and Mossaic to name a few. Potts may be as well. Go with someone in your area, if not the builder then a local bike shop partner of the builder.

Why was the local bike shop talking Potts? Do they work with that builder?
I'm not sure - I emailed Potts, he's going to call me sometime soon.

- Tim

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a short update - we chatted on the phone; he's a very nice fellow to talk with, sounded just as passionate and excited about the prospect of building someone a new frame as he might have when he first got into the business. :)

One bit of news he told me - the Bay Area has gotten so expensive, he's relocating from Petaluma to a small town in way Northern California (he says he has family up there), where he can have a lot more space for his workshop for a lot less money. A shame it's gotten so expensive around here, but good for him that he'll be able to lower his costs and still put out good work.

- Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts