Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday morning I will experience one of the initiation rituals that comes with one's 50th birthday. No, there is ceremony for my receiving my AARP card. I will be having my first ever colonoscopy. I have three pages of instructions from the doctor for this weekend -- my last real meal will be sometime tomorrow and it looks like I will be drinking liquids and sitting on the toilet all day Sunday.

First, a general question: Any suggestions, horror stories, etc.?

Second, some specific questions: (a) Should I do a ride on Sunday morning before I begin the laxative regimen?; (b) How long will it take to recover after the procedure? Will I be able to ride on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
An easy ride isn't likely to do any harm at all the day before or after.

Won't take more than a day to recover depending on if you have them do a local or a general.

·
yellow is mellow
1,199 Posts
I had one 30 years ago why all the concern? All you gotta do is lie there and wait for something to happen. Main thing do the night before "purging". That's all I remember.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
MB1 said:
If that was meant to be funny, it was hilarious.

If it was not meant to be funny, it's even more hilarious.

HTH

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
If that was meant to be funny, it was hilarious.

If it was not meant to be funny, it's even more hilarious.

HTH
:devil:

·
Super Moderator
40,808 Posts
MB1 said:
You're referring to the verb, and not the trademarked product?:)

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I had my first colonoscopy at 16. I'm way overdue for another one given my family history, according the the doc's.

The worst part is the explosive pewp. No, scratch that The worst part is the vile liquid you're forced drink in order to make you pewp like it's the 4th of july.

That stuff is horrid. It's supposedly "lemon-lime" flavored (at least mine was). And it tasted exactly like lemon-lime. Wait, no... it tasted exactly like lemon-lime that you boiled down to it's most concentrated form, mixed it with about 20 pounds of salt, then wrapped it in fermenting lemons, then let it sit in the dun for a week, then a dog ate it and pewped it out, then it sat in the sun again for another week till the dog pwep that surrounded it turned all white and dried out fell off. Then you drink it. That's what it tasted like.

Drop by See's Candies and pick up some of their hard candy lolly pops. They're delicious, they last a long time, and, at least for me, they were perfectly okay to eat before the procedure.

The procedure itself isn't bad at all, cept that afterwards you'll have some pretty awesome gas. I've heard that people have done it without being hopped up on something. Eff that. The drugs they gave me were AMAZING. I kind of want to go back just so that they can give me more of that stuff.

joe

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
The nurse put the IV in my arm and I remember saying, "Gee, this stuff sure comes on f.........."

And that's all I remember.

There is some perverse interest in what happens after you drink about 3 gallons of Fleet and then eat a couple of pounds of yellow and green jello. Beyond that, not a bad experience considering the benefits.

I rode the morning before and I was feeling fine the next day.

·
yellow is mellow
1,199 Posts
Of course these days I have s slightly less messier alternative these days. Get out your rubber glove and use it to smear your stool specimen on a piece of white paper. Pour couple drops of peroxide on the smeared paper and if the paper turns blue- run to the procto!

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
paper warrior said:
All you gotta do is lie there and wait for something to happen.
But did thee feel the earth move?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I had my first colonscopy last fall. It was awful. Not the actual procedure but the preparation. Fleet is the worst tasting stuff I ever put in my mouth. It ruined my tastebuds, literally, for months afterwards. I had to quit drink Diet Coke and other sodas for months afterwards because they would cause a Fleet flashback.

The actual procedure was a breeze. After they stuck me with the IV, they told me to count backwards from 10 and I think I only made it to 6. Woke up a couple hours later and it was all over. However, food tasted funny for days afterwards from the Fleet. Did I mention how awful it tastes?

·
yellow is mellow
1,199 Posts
Fredke said:
But did thee feel the earth move?
I apreciate your concern no really. But i
was concentrating on the crt the surgeon was pointing out though it didn't mean nothing to me- very nice man. In good hands I was.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
terry b said:
The nurse put the IV in my arm and I remember saying, "Gee, this stuff sure comes on f.........."

And that's all I remember.
sounds like when I got my wisdom teeth out (all 4 at once). It was like I blinked and suddenly I'm waking up again, asking when they are going to start.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
The stuff I drank tasted like ocean water. It was best ice cold, and washed down with a half glass of plain cold water. I think that I had a race that Sunday, I started drinking that stuff about 4:00 PM. By 6:00, stuff started to happen. At 8:00 I took another dose, and by 10:00, I weighed quite a bit less. I was able to go to bed by 12:00. Monday morning, I had the procedure, and was kidded by the doctors afterwards, that I snored through the entire thing.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
What Dave said. I'll be reaching that little milestone in 2 weeks and I'm also due for my 3rd colonoscopy. (Ain't genetics grand?) Anywho, no big deal. Ride before and the day after. You'll be fine. And maybe a lb or 2 lighter:p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts