Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rolling over the 3/4" lip of my driveway @ 2mph-crack! My 2010 Gary Fisher Cronus Pro- right at the base of the seat post into the tube:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bahueh said:
damage was probably already there from something else...the bump just solidified it.
yeah, it's real solid now!:p And that 'something else'- I'm guessing its called a manufacturing defect.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
One big plus to those radiator clamps is they're already predrilled, no drillium necessary.

·
9,790 Posts
Chef Tony said:
yeah, it's real solid now!:p And that 'something else'- I'm guessing its called a manufacturing defect.
Yeah, I get tired of the "must have crashed it/leaned it against something/knocked it over/jumped on it/beat it with a hammer" crowd.

Sometimes carbon just fails. Pretty frequently, really. Especially if the downtube says Trek or Cervelo, from what I've seen.
Yes, other materials fail too; just not as often as carbon.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Market Percent?

PlatyPius said:
Seems like the carbon failure rate is higher from a casual observer viewpoint. Could that perception be skewed by the fact there is so much carbon out there? I don't think market share is the issue but would look to those with more industry experience.

When steel was real and the only thing were there frequent failures or only on the stupid light bikes?

I do seem to recall that when aluminum was the dominant race machine there were regular failures but that seemed to be because it was new and they were still figuring out how to make them lighter and it was not until they went with oversize tubes and stopped trying to make them look like a steel lugged bike.

Don't recall a bunch of titanium failures but that was a narrow niche because of the price.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,354 Posts
Let's get this party started right.

How long has it been since you ran into your garage with the bike on your car? :D

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
people..

PlatyPius said:
Yeah, I get tired of the "must have crashed it/leaned it against something/knocked it over/jumped on it/beat it with a hammer" crowd.

Sometimes carbon just fails. Pretty frequently, really. Especially if the downtube says Trek or Cervelo, from what I've seen.
do things to their equipment that they don't confess to doing in my experience (hopping curbs for instance), kids sometimes do things in garages they don't admit as well...
yes defects happen as well.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
:rolleyes5: Oh no! I'd better check my bikes now to make sure they won't assplode. Maybe if I wear my tinfoil hat I'll have sufficient luck and they won't fail?

·
waterproof*
41,616 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
When steel was real and the only thing were there frequent failures or only on the stupid light bikes?
I never saw a steel frame fail like that. Only JRA failure I can recall was on a bike that had been built by a newbie builder who didn't braze the BB correctly. The rider continued to ride bike with the cracked BB / seat tube junction for several rides, no prob.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.