Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Trek 2.1 for a few months now and it runs beautifully save for a mild creaking noise. It has Shimano 105 group.

First off, my mechanical notions are that this is not normal. It's a stiff aluminum frame and if something is not moving right I'd like to fix it before premature component wear results. The noise is not loud but it's always audible.

I hear the creaking coming from the bottom bracket or crank area. I hear it when I'm putting heavy torque through the pedals while riding. I can also hear it if I'm not moving and I stand on the pedals and lightly bounce my weight on the pedals. The LBS who services my bike gave the bike an extra bit of wrenching and could not change the creaking.

I recently changed from cheap Wellgo pedals to Ultegra pedals and there was no change in the creaking. So that cuts pedals out of the equation.

So what should I look into? Based on the bounce test I'm thinking bottom bracket.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Because noises can travel through a frame, pinning down the area/ cause is often difficult. And your 'bounce test' may flex the frame enough to cause the creak in an area unrelated to the BB (thus misleading you), but from what you've offered I think the crankset/ BB is a possibility.

I'd first check the chainring and crank arm bolts for tightness and also check for play by holding each crank arm and alternating a side to side push/ pull. Assuming you find no problem so far, before going further with this I'd check both the bar and stem bolts, top cap, seat rail and post bolts, because these steps are quicker and easier than the next step.

If those steps don't identify (or rectify) the problem, then I'd disassemble the crankset and BB (checking the BB for signs of wear), clean and relube all parts, then reinstall following the manufacturers specs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
as above give all bolts (stem,seatclamp etc) a quick turn. Do you have a removeable gear hanger. If so then sometimes a hidden creak can sometimes come from here. If removeable undo the hanger and apply a touch of grease. Try this before pulling apart your BB.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Another search

dgeesaman said:
So what should I look into? Based on the bounce test I'm thinking bottom bracket.
Since you recognize that this is "another" noise thread, you might consider searching some of the many, many, many threads on this topic. Every possible suggestion has already been made.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Since you recognize that this is "another" noise thread, you might consider searching some of the many, many, many threads on this topic. Every possible suggestion has already been made.

Maybe a mod can put your "creaking checklist" up at the top as a sticky? I know you've posted that about a 1000 times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts