Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been mountain biking forever and now want to join my college's cycling team. I have ridden road bikes a little before but only for recreation. I'm not by any means new to riding, just new to road bikes... So, I'm here bothering you all with another "which bike to buy" thread. Sorry, but please help me out!!

This is the deal; I cannot spend over $1000 (I know, its a low budget, but I'm in college and thats what I've got to work with). I do not want a bike that has crap components and will end up wearing out after a year. I have read around a lot about brands, and there seems to be a lot of smaller names (rather than the trek, cannondale, etc...) which a lot of people use.

If you all could just point me in the right direction as to what to look for (brands, bikes, components, shopping tips). I can buy online.

I may be able to flex my budget by $200 or so.......

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Best: CAAD9 w/rival, but its more $$ than you want.

Any aluminum frame with at least 105/rival will be your best bet. As long as its a brand you trust (ie one of the big boys or a small brand you know) and has decent components, its worth upgrading your wheels and tires.

Also, consider used.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.