Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Sorry to put you through what I'm sure is just another which bike thread.
Anyway, I'm brand spanking new to the world of cycling, so obviously, completely clueless.
Today I visited a few LBS and tried out a couple of road bikes, with the following decision to make:

1) Speciallized Allez - Double compact. Frame size 56- Road around for a little bit and found it comfortable and quick. Quite nice .

2) Trek 1.2 - Size 56- Can't really decide how I felt, because the saddle was killing me, just want the ride to be over with. Now the LBS guy, told me the saddles were essentially the same so the discomfort was probably from the geometry of the bike

3) Trek 1.5 - Frame size 58. Tried it in another LBS. Felt really nice and comfortable, maybe better than the Allez, but this was in the store in a trainer, no chance to go outside.

So my question is how to go about deciding. The benefits of the speciallized is the comfort and the PRICE. which is nearly 200 bucks less than the Trek 1.5. (Really not interested in the Trek 1.2), on the other hand, the Trek 1.5 also seemed comfortable, I really like the way it looks, and I think I may be getting more bike for the buck (better wheels). The components are about the same both Sora/Tiagra.

Just don't know if I can justify the extra cost, (money that would go to a car rack and helmet). The other problem is that the shop with the Allez is having a sale so I don'[t really have much time to decide.

What do I want from it? Just to go out there and get my fat ass a little less fat, and enjoy a nice ride.

Thanks for the help.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Get the Specialized. Geometry doesn't make your rear hurt. Ever. Your rear hurts due to the sadddle. Geometry can change handling, feel of responsiveness, your peadaling efficiency, but it should not make your bum ache. A saddle is a saddle, set up right geometry won't be an issue.. .Get a Flite Classic. (My world) or whatever else and go.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Admittedly, I'm prejudiced towards the Allez, but thinking long term I'd suggest taking both the Allez and Trek 1.5 out for test rides. Real ones, not parking lot/ trainer rides - and preferably back to back, then decide. Comfort (fit) goes a long way in keeping you riding, so should be a priority. JMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't owned a bike from either manufacturer but have heard more positive reviews about the Allez. I have a buddy who has an Allez and he loves it.

·
Making memories
285 Posts
Skip the Specialized all together

Has it been said yet? get the one that fits.......

Consider what I just bought for similar purposes as you; a bike to enjoy and ride (in addition to being the commuter and back up bike) a Kona Honky Tonk. It's gonna be sweeeeet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I am now a proud owner of a new RED Specialized Allez compact :)
I really liked how the Trek looked and hated the black Allez, but thought the red one was too loud. My girlfriend came with me and nudged me into getting the red one. I couldn't be happier. It is really nice looking and even looks fast.

Got a great deal on the bike and accessories (car rack, helmet, water bottles, computer and lock) for the same price the Trek by itself was going to cost.

The only problem is I didn't get much of fit at the shop. We adjusted the height seat, changed the angle of handle bars, it all feels really nice and comfortable, but didn't get a real fitting. The guy essentially said that since I wasn't getting cycling shoes my positions was going to be too variable and kinda pointless to do any more, and they usually charge $50 for a static fit and $75 for a dynamic (trainer) fit.

I will be getting shoes but that is going to have to wait until a birthday or something.

Thanks for all the advice

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.. ya done good! :thumbsup:

I agree that your fitting wasn't the best, and judging from the LBS's comments, I'd hedge on going back there for a second fitting when it comes time for shoes/ pedals. Better to work with a more knowledgeable/ experienced fitter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JayTee said:
What the heck do they mean by a "static fit"?
You just sit on the bike and see how you are positioned. No movement, no trainer, nothing, just eye ball it.

This is not going to be my LBS, since this is not my home town. I'm missing on the free tune ups, but as someone said, I rather give my money to a more knowlegeable shop.
Just can't complain about the discounts. $730 for new bike, and big discounts on everything else.

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now my GF really wants a bike, so the search begins for her.
I'm thinking about the Dulce. Any suggestions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts