Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The addiction has been confirmed -- I added another fixed gear / single speed bike to the stable this weekend.

This started out as an old Pinarello frameset I found on eBay. I had the frame professionally painted with extra attention put on the lugs and details. The result was a stunning black and white frameset that was just begging for a host of black and white components. Since I already have two more traditional fixed gear / single speed bikes, I decided to go with a flat bar on this one. The idea was to build it up as more of a cruiser than a racer.

I went with an eclectic mix of parts. The AeroSpoke wheels catch everyone's eye right away. I used a Chris King threaded headset, Sugino 75 cranks and a matching ring, Crank Brothers Acid pedals, an Izumi chain, Tektro brakes and levers, Nokon cables, an Easton flat bar, white Odi grips, and a Specialized mountain saddle (Rival SL). Of course I went with a Thomson post and stem. At first glance, it looks like I have quite a few spacers. This is due to the Nitto quill stem adapter I'm using. I could put the stem lower, but the adapter can't be cut. And you can't put spacers above the stem because they would slide right off. Rest assured this set-up is very strong and the number of spacers is only an aesthetic issue. That said, I am looking for other adapters that are shorter and would allow me to use fewer spacers. We'll see what I come up with.

The end result is something unique and very fun to ride. The bike is smooth and feels terrific. Honestly, I can't get enough Italian steel.

That's enough typing ... enjoy the pictures.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
That is sick! Kudos.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
I like it... in order for me to love it... it would need drop bars.

I mean c'mon, with wheels like that...

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
BrianT said:
The AeroSpoke wheels catch everyone's eye right away.
Hipster swine, maybe, and certainly the rest of Montréal's American Apparel crowd. I just don't understand the attraction of those wheels. Luckily I don't have to, I guess.

Otherwise, nice bike. But I have to ask, how "unsalvageable" does an IC derailleur hanger get?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the comments and posts. I appreciate all of the positive feedback. This was a fun project.

I went with the flat bars because this bike is intended to be more of a cruiser. I have two other fixed gear / single speed bikes that both have drops. I wanted something different this time around. I guess I could put drops on this bike and put the flat bar on one of the others, but I like the way this bike looks and rides, so I'm going to leave things as-is for now.

As far as the wheels go, I wanted something different. The all-black look was a big plus for me, as was the price (I got a new set from a private party for a great deal). I figured if I didn't like them, I could always sell them and replace them with something more traditional ... they seem to maintain their value quite well. I'm definitely not a hipster -- I'm about as straight-edge as they come.

I can't give specifics on the rear derailleur hanger damage as I'm not a frame expert. I was told by two different shops that it couldn't be fixed. My guess is that I could always have a frame builder re-work this section of the bike and put a hanger on if the desire ever arises. Keep in mind that the frame was already spaced to 120mm in the rear when I got it. If I were to run gears I'd also need to widen the rear ... I'm not sure if that's even a possibility. It doesn't really matter, though, because I love the bike in its current configuration.

The paint was done by Allan Wanta (www.wantaframes.com). Al built my last fixed gear / single speed frameset (the Gios blue one with all silver components). He does fantastic work ... I can't give him enough praise. Al painted the frame white, the lugs black, and the lug "windows" white. I really like the contrast of the frame.

Thanks again for all the posts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.