1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Shower at work.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have a 20 mile RT commute in hot, humid, sunny and sometimes rainy SW Florida.I ride with a backpack too. The bottom line is I don't worry about the stink. I rinse my face, sit a few minutes, put on some deodorant, and change clothes.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The body odor smell you get from sweating isn't from the sweat itself, it's from the bacteria that thrives on the sweat. It takes time for the colony to build up. So if you shower in the morning before heading out, you've rinsed off everything that built up overnight, and won't find that too much can grow during your ride to work. As a secondary measure I also wipe myself down with a wet washcloth in the bathroom when I arrive to work, and apply deoderant. Never been a problem so far - and I have close enough co-workers who have agreed to tell me if I ever did have an issue with BO after morning rides in.

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
1,842 Posts
zpl said:
The body odor smell you get from sweating isn't from the sweat itself, it's from the bacteria that thrives on the sweat. It takes time for the colony to build up. So if you shower in the morning before heading out, you've rinsed off everything that built up overnight, and won't find that too much can grow during your ride to work. As a secondary measure I also wipe myself down with a wet washcloth in the bathroom when I arrive to work, and apply deoderant. Never been a problem so far - and I have close enough co-workers who have agreed to tell me if I ever did have an issue with BO after morning rides in.
+1000 A quick rinse, fresh deodorant and some cologne. I also put baby powder in the "shorts" area once I get to work to dry up the moisture and add a little more odor prevention.

·
Registered
449 Posts
agree with these... i bike 10 miles each way, ride slower ont he way in, shower before you leave, and wash up when you get to work... i work as an env. planner, so i can get away with jeans, polo and a hat for work, so that makes it easy... i use baby wipes to wash off, then apply deoderant and cologne... no real issues... not ideal but it works...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
My commute is 18 miles each way. I ride slowly on the way in. When I get there I wipe down with Wet Ones. They're dampened tissues that come in a plastic container. You can get'em at any drug or grocery store. I keep a supply at work, along with a bath towel.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I get up and shower at home and then ride an hour to work at a slow pace. I also wear clean riding clothes. I'm lucky to ride in the dry, dry Colorado air.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I joined the gym here at work but I'm already over it. I hate parking my bike twice and to be honest, I hate public showers.

The past week I've taken a shower in the morning at home and ridden slowly to work as others have said. I usually break a light sweat, no more than walking to lunch during the hot afternoon.

When I get to work, I wash my face and use these:

http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails_201.asp?lProductLineID=13

I know they are makeup remover wipes! But I prefer them to baby wipes. They smell clean and neutral and seem to work well.

All and all I'm pleased with the results considering it's the summer in the San Fernando valley. It will only get better in the colder weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.