Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
toomanybikes said:
Ok smartypants - your name painted on the top tube!?

Show off.

PS: Really nice.
I don't think anyone will notice my name next to the huge "One Less Car" logo. I asked him to put that on, but I did not think he was going to use letters quite that big. Well, I guess it's an important statement, so I should be proud.

Hey, he asked me if I wanted my name on the frame; I said "What the heck! Why not?"

- FBB

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave Hickey said:
How are you going to build it up?
Eclectically!

Sansin high-flange sealed-cartridge tandem hubs. Sun CR16 rims. Nashbar Trekking handlebar. Brooks B17 saddle (honey). Campy triple crank. Shimano 105 long cage rear derailleur, Sora front derailleur (hey... I can't tell the difference...). Rear rack. Wonderful old KKT pedals. Etc.

I'll post photos ASAP.

Thanks for the kind words,

- FBB

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zaurusman said:
Hey, that looks sharp! What shifters are you going with?
Cheesy-looking but effective ones:

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/shifters_derailleurs/17097.html

I had a nearly NOS set of Deore XT thumbies, which would have worked perfectly with the Trekking bars, but I sold them like a dummy. Still the cheapo thumbies from the Riv catalog work very well, even if the do not look state of the art.

BTW: The rear cassette for the Sansin hubs is a Suntour 7 speed, which limits my shifter options, somewhat. I've heard you can make Shimano 8 speed thumbies work with the Suntour 7 in index mode, but I'm not convinced. I keep looking for NOS Suntour 7 speed thumbies, but they are hard to find, and the indexing is very finicky.

Yours,

FBB

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Sweet! Can't wait to see it built up.

· Registered
105 Posts
fbagatelleblack said:
BTW: The rear cassette for the Sansin hubs is a Suntour 7 speed, which limits my shifter options, somewhat. I've heard you can make Shimano 8 speed thumbies work with the Suntour 7 in index mode, but I'm not convinced. I keep looking for NOS Suntour 7 speed thumbies, but they are hard to find, and the indexing is very finicky.
In my quest for shifters I was told by a Nashbar tech that their Shimano 8-speed downtube shifters would work with my 7-speed cassette and just have an extra "click" at the end. I can't find it on Riv's site but could swear they carry a bar-mount to turn downtube shifters on their side like they're thumbies. Could be a wild goose chase and I'm not sure how it all works together but you could give them a call and see what you can put together with their help. (shrug)

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zaurusman said:
I can't find it on Riv's site but could swear they carry a bar-mount to turn downtube shifters on their side like they're thumbies.
Perhaps you are thinking of these:

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/shifters_derailleurs/17068.html

which are made to turn DT shifters into bar end shifters. I have heard Grant P. speculate on the possibility of doing something similar for DT-to-thumby conversions, but I do not believe he has taken the plunge as of yet.

Paul Components, http://www.paulcomp.com/, on the other hand, makes a doohicky that allows you to mount bar end shifters onto flat bars in thumby-fashion. Go to the site and click on "Thumb Shifters." Those are pretty cool as well. Perhaps you encountered talk of them in your recent adventures.

Thanks for the input!

- FBB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.