Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FIL has been collecting antique firearms for a v-e-r-y long time. For a shorter period of time, he's been telling me, "You want one of these? I'm gonna send you one..."

Really? GREAT!!

After about eight years of hearing that, I was no longer anxiously anticipating getting one of those guns. So I was a bit surprised when a long, thin crate arrived at my doorstep today.

Contents: one Model 1816 Wickham flintlock musket; ~ .69 cal, c. 1822. And one nasty 18" bayonet.

yeah, I got the coolest FIL on the forum.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Fire in the hole!

I like the part where you have to wait after pulling the trigger for it to actually fire, and then you have to wait some more for the smoke to clear before you can tell whether you've hit anything. Be careful out there.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
I'm jealous. That is very nice. I had a replica Brown Bess in my younger years but sold it to pay for college. I've always wanted another one to put over the fireplace.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Very cool. Every once and a while someone shows up at our local range with an old flint lock. Neat ol rifle.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
stover said:
Very cool. Every once and a while someone shows up at our local range with an old flint lock. Neat ol rifle.
No rifling on that. It's a smooth bore. The Pennsylvania or Kentucky rifles were more accurate but took a much longer time to load.

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
Very nice. Now you will have to build a fireplace and a mantle so you will have somewhere to hang the gun for display.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ToF said:
What a beauty. Is it operational? looks like it is.
I'm confident it's indeed operational. But to me, it's a collector. So probably no smoke and noise from this one.

I'm debating between displaying it over the fireplace or over the desk in my office. I've got a pair of old cast iron gun hooks (the old 'stag head' style) I can hang it on, but also considering having a buddy of mine who does high-end furniture work build a nice display case out of glass and dark hardwood

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Really funny timing for this thread.

I just got 3 rifles that look somewhat like this last weekend from my dad. They have been in my family for as long as anyone can remember. I know nothing about them, but all of the triggers work and the seem to be reasonably complete. One looks like it has been restored at some point while the other two don't. I'll try to post pix when I get home.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
You'll shoot your eye out!

We should take the three antiques between us and head out to the range some day and attempt to blow our heads off. Not really though.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
q_and_a said:
Really funny timing for this thread.

I just got 3 rifles that look somewhat like this last weekend from my dad. They have been in my family for as long as anyone can remember. I know nothing about them, but all of the triggers work and the seem to be reasonably complete. One looks like it has been restored at some point while the other two don't. I'll try to post pix when I get home.
yeah, the Model 1816 was made by several manufacturers, close to 20,000 were made between 1822 and 1840. The Wickham I was given happens to be one of the earliest. Model 1816's made by Wickham, Harpers Ferry and Springfield were pretty much identical except for the stamps on the barrels and manufacturers marks.

·
6,100 Posts
I know nothing about these or any other guns. On the ones I have, the wood doesn't go all the way up the barrel, and one of the barrels is octagonal on the outside. They are very heavy and I don't remember seeing any manufacturer or model number on them. Who knows, could be some old recreations and not even real. I have no idea.

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
I've got a shotgun my moms great-great grandfather brought over with him on the boat. It's in pretty rough shape, but restorable. It's on my to do list.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
That's a contract musket isn't it?

AFAIK, it's a pretty valuable gift. It's a beater, but it's probably worth just over a grand....

edit: yup, just checked. That's a cool gun. You can tell it was handled quite a bit. The brown/black patina on the metal is nice.

·
6,100 Posts
Here are some pix of the guns I received. Anyone have any idea? They relly don't have any markings on them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts