Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations on an Antivirus software?

Free? or not too expensive?

Thanks!

·
Registered
938 Posts

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I've had some trouble with bad installs and poorly removed viruses that have cause problems on computers with AVG.. I have Symantec Endpoint at work which isn't half bad..

I use Mcaffe Total Protection at home.. Works well but the interface sucks and I wish it gave me more control over how it runs.

My parents recently purchased a copy of Norton Internet Security 2009 and I honestly like it more than any other edition of Norton I've used. Plenty of options and it has a smaller footprint than most installs.

Trend Micro is supposedly one of the better AV products.. They have a different update policy that is more real time I guess.

Either way having some form or AV with additional Malware scanners is the only way to be 99% secure. Even running 4 different scans weekly you'll still get something someday..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes anti malware.
Fantastic Av program that catches viruses that Panda, Norton and mcafee have all missed on demand scanner is free.. is updated constantly and full active protection is in the neighborhood of 30 bucks.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Norton usually costs $40, but if you buy it when the new edition comes out (mid to late September), most places discount it to $20. (at least for the last 3 years)

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i used some free macafee software that comcast provided. it eventually seemed like a virus as it slowly started taking over my pc. i uninstalled that crap ASAP and now the pc runs fine.

so i guess i'm just saying to stay away from macafee.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Anything other than Norton and McAfee. Norton really went to full bloatware mode about 2004 and still remains comically bad. Every place I've worked uses it and it will bring a most capable system to its knees. Seriously, I just uninstall it and prefer taking my chances against viruses. McAfee never was particularly good.

I used to like Trend/PCcillin a lot, but it crapped out about 2006/2007 (can't remember exactly when), so I switched to Kaspersky, which has been great. As with most antivirus software, you can usually find some type of discount/sale for it.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Norton Internet Security 2009 is a good product. It has substantially reduced it's footprint and runs virtually unnoticed on my laptop. I've been very happy with it. It performs better with less resources than my previous software, AVG. Before that I used McAfee and was very unhappy with it's performance. It's use of resources was atrocious and recent updates have not improved their product as reported by CNET and PCMag. Products change over time and you have to keep up with the changes. Sweeping statements based on a product from 2004 are not helpful.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd also recommend AVG. Small footprint and works great. Free.

Also, superantispyware (yeah, that's the name), is the best malware and trojan software. That'll bag really hard to get stuff in the registry. Also free.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Terrapin said:
I'd also recommend AVG. Small footprint and works great. Free.

Also, superantispyware (yeah, that's the name), is the best malware and trojan software. That'll bag really hard to get stuff in the registry. Also free.
This is also what I use and they work great. Also good to have on hand is Hijack This! It works great for browser hijacking adware crap. Just be sure you know what you are doing.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
AVG and/or malwarebytes or preferably both. That's what I use at home and I've never
had a problem.

We've used Malwarebytes at work to get rid of the nastiest malware and it works terrifically.
But you have to run it in safe mode if you have an infected machine.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I've been using Avast for years and not had any virus problems.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
I'm at least 10 years into Computer associates.... i

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Agree. I've noticed a large improvement since 2005. With Norton 2009, you can't even tell it's there. It runs it's scans in the background, when your mouse doesn't move, and then pauses, when you start doing things again.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,141 Posts
+1 for Avast. I'm slowly moving away from my PC and loving my Apple G4 Powerbook.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Sweeping statements based on a product from 2004 are not helpful.
Whatever. Read my comment. I have not used it at home since 2004 but have been using it continuously since then on every workstation where I work.

Products change over time and you have to keep up with the changes.
They sure do, and I recommend looking at any competitor to Norton, other than McAfee, which continues to give me unnecessary grief. While NIS 2009 is a vastly improved product compared to their previous versions, I'd still look elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts